Author Topic: The G&L lightning struck....  (Read 2589 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: The G&L lightning struck....
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 11:14:39 PM »
I’ve been mostly playing short scale basses , bought some interesting long scales since  , but continue to prefer short scales .
The exceptions were a Yamaha Flying Samurai and a Riverhead Unicorn . Interesting basses !

I thought the Samurai was short scale? Or do you mean the reissue?

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 05:39:39 AM »
The original Flying Samurai was medium scale at 32 inches , mine is a 34 reissue . They didn’t make a big batch of reissues , they’ve become rare , like the originals . I would have preferred the 32 , but I’m ok with the 34 . I didn’t jump to short scale because of hand issues . I just came to prefer the short ones . And I love the shade of yellow . I occasionally get to play some surf , weird guitar instrumentals and movie themes with some old buddies in a favourite dive . The Sam is perfect . We have a killer take on Goldfinger .
The Unicorn is a pretty rare Japanese headless thing that is very comfortable to play . There is a tiny cult of aficionados . Apparently the factory burned down and was never rebuilt . I figure I can always run off and join some new wave circus if things don’t work out .

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 06:37:32 AM »
I’ve been mostly playing short scale basses , bought some interesting long scales since  , but continue to prefer short scales .
The exceptions were a Yamaha Flying Samurai and a Riverhead Unicorn . Interesting basses !

Man, I have been dying to get me hands on a Yamaha Samurai ever since I got into the Polysics/saw them live.  They got pricey though.  Pauls Boutique gets them all the time (6 and 4 bangers; mostly 6).  Also ridiculous number of pup config options.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 07:08:11 AM »
I remember the bass player in the Guess Who using one on tv in the later 60’s . The shape always stuck with me . I’d look them up on the internet every once in a while , but I wasn’t up to an order from Japan . A friend in the States had one , and sold it . And said he regretted selling , described it as something like a Jazz bass on steroids .
And then one popped up on a forum in Toronto and I decided it was about that time .
It’s a mid weight , not heavy . Comfortable on a strap , well balanced . Nice neck , sounds good . I like it .
If it was 30 inches I’d be using it a lot more …