Author Topic: Suggestions for re-covering cab..  (Read 5951 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Suggestions for re-covering cab..
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:49:48 AM »
I found a long-desired Genz-Benz Neo-X212T speaker at the right price on Ebay, but the carpet-style covering looks like it was attacked by leopards needing a place to sharpen their claws. 

I don't need to use it right away, so I can take my time in re-covering it.  And since I'm retiring June 10, I'll have time available. It's 4 ohms, which I want both for my Shuttle 6.2 head, and for use with my 1967 blackface Bassman.

I'm interested in helpful suggestions as to materials to use in re-covering the speaker.  I'm sure I can use Tolex, but I'm open to to other ideas that are practical.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for re-covering cab..
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:22:46 AM »
Some stores sell a variety of automotive carpeting, that may work good. You may want to consider getting it done "BEFORE" you retire. I retired over two years ago & don't seem to get much of anything done. Most of my co-workers seem to say the same thing!!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »
Wasn't the "carpet" used as insulation?  If you were to tolex it you may need to insulate the inside with something.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
Duratex seems to be the go-to for recoating plywood cabinets after the carpet has been removed.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 02:24:24 PM »
Is that similar to Peavey cabinet covering?

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 06:13:44 PM »
Wasn't the "carpet" used as insulation?  If you were to tolex it you may need to insulate the inside with something.

Nope, it's external. I'm not quite sure yet how much it wraps around the port edges on the cab, which may become a challenge.

Duratex may be the ticket.  I do want to know what the surface is like; I tried using spray-on bed coating for pickups on one cab, and it looked pretty good but touching it was like rubbing against 60-grit sandpaper.  OUCH!  Not pleasant to tote around.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »
I recall some Talkbass threads on the subject of spray-on coatings; some are apparently pretty unpleasant or even dangerous for offgassing, so it'd be good to read up before picking a specific one.
Here's one thread... https://www.talkbass.com/threads/truckbed-liner-on-speaker-cabs.625826/
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:06:38 AM »
Motion Sound uses a sprayon type of covering. It seems pretty durable. Odd not having any corners....

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »
That does look really nice and you're right about no corners.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:34:38 AM »
Motion Sound uses a sprayon type of covering. It seems pretty durable. Odd not having any corners....

That's a really nice looking surface. I found their website will ask politely what they use.  It may be proprietary or a more involved process than I want to get into. 

I also called the Duratex folks and to ask what their finished surfaces are like.  Their answer is that it depends on the application. For a rougher surface you roll it on with a larger-napped roller; for smoother surfaces, low or no nap on the roller.  That's very similar to many home painting products.

I should have the cab late this week...I'll assess the situation but right now I'm leaning to Duratex as a practical answer.  It appears to use the Henry Ford approach; any color you want, as long as it's black.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:10:41 AM by Pilgrim »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »

I should have the cab late this week...I'll assess the situation but right now I'm leaning to Duratex as a practical answer.  It appears to use the Henry Ford approach; any color you want, as long as it's black.
;D

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 06:34:58 AM »
Nope. Purely cosmetic.

Duratex seems to be the go-to for recoating plywood cabinets after the carpet has been removed.

Seconded. Similar to what Grog was suggesting. Theres a few different brands. Basically truck bed liner ( so if you know a guy who does that with a pro spray rig....).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:57 AM »

Seconded. Similar to what Grog was suggesting. Theres a few different brands. Basically truck bed liner ( so if you know a guy who does that with a pro spray rig....).

I'm OK with the durability of a product similar to bed liner, but I don't want a surface finish that's like brushing against a wood rasp.  I think the Duratex can be put on with a fairly smooth surface, which would be OK with me. 

One advantage that surfaces like carpet have is that they rebound and cover bumps into sharp objects.  Any coating can be punctured or broken, and patches will be visible, but I don't handle my gear roughly. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
I have now acquired enough Harris Tweed to re-cover my Hiwatt and will next want to try and blag enough for the Marshall 4x12 ...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...