Author Topic: Fender + bird = Fenderbride!  (Read 7384 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Fender + bird = Fenderbride!
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »
Gotta say, I've had a really nice day. Started with my son calling me up in the morning, telling me he sent a picture from an advertismen he'd seen on a site. It was a Bach Fenderbird. Red. Looked beautiful!
Son says, "Hey dad, if you want it, I'll get it for you". Of course I want it. Maple neck. 2 pups. Red. As sin!
So I tell him, you don't have to, I'll buy it myself. Then he tells me, "don't you remember you gave me your P-bass -65, and one of your Embassies. This one's on me".
So he bought it, for me. US dollars 180!The Fenderbird is 1 000 kilometers from here, down in Gothenburg. But my grandson lives there, so he's gonna pick it up on Sunday. Then it's another story to get it up to my place. Though that's very small troubles!
Ain't life grand!?!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Fender + bird = Fenderbride!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
What a good son! Also, what a generous dad, giving him those basses.

180 USD is a great deal, hopefully no issues.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 02:35:36 PM »
Great!!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:53:38 PM »
Those BaCH Fenderbirds are great basses.
Not many were made.
I was not amused when BaCH released them, because they had not made them exactly like I had told them to.
They could (should) have been closer to the original Fenderbird. But they're still great.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »
That's a nice deal and son Staffan! I just vaguely remember that model, so please post a pic when it arrives.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 04:48:04 AM »
This is the original red Fenderbird by BaCH.

They also made a batch with the half pickguard (a la Reverse Thunderbird).
Here's a version with Thunderbird style humbuckers installed:

And they had them in Honeyburst with flamed maple top:

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:25:57 AM »
The one I got is the one in the middle, with the half pickguard. But I've got to admit that the one on top, the original Bach F-bird, looks really cool.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
What a great day!  Congrats.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
Congrats !!  What a nice kid.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »
Anyone here's got the measurements for the Bach Fenderbird? Need to know so I can bring the right case for it for shipping.

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »

I’ve one of the first batch. It is a very nice bass. I will be able to take some measurements later
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:41:12 AM by tore00 »
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »
Overall length is 120 cm along the centerline, width, measured perpendicularly to the centerline is about 35 cm at the widest point, 32 at the bridge, distance of upper horn from centerline is 14 cm, lower horn 18. Just let me know if you need more
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
Thanks, Tore! Tomorrow is the day I'm gonna start looking for a suitable case, Thanks again!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 01:19:10 AM »
So, the Fenderbird finally found it's way to daddy. Last week a friend of the family brought it from Gothenburg. I could hardly believe my eyes when I got the bird in my hands! Such a beauty! Pups works just fine. The neck needs some work, as the strings buzzes on a couple of frets. So I've left it to a luthier friend to fix the bass up. He'll also change the pup covers to original T-bird shape. I'll bring her home next week. Get some pics, and show all of you what Real Beauty looks like!

Though I've owned a T-bird earlier on, the -76 model, I wasn't prepared for the neckdive on this one. I know the problem been up for discussion a couple of years ago, here on the Outpost. Anyone remember the best trick to get rid of the neckdive problem?

And, one last thing: How come Bach came up with such a strange idea as to start producing the Fenderbirds? I can't see a great economic potential in that. From where came the idea? Could it have anything to do with influences from a certain Nederlandic voice? (Step forward, Rob! If there's a story here to tell, please tell it!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 09:35:28 PM »
So, the Fenderbird finally found it's way to daddy. Last week a friend of the family brought it from Gothenburg. I could hardly believe my eyes when I got the bird in my hands! Such a beauty! Pups works just fine. The neck needs some work, as the strings buzzes on a couple of frets. So I've left it to a luthier friend to fix the bass up. He'll also change the pup covers to original T-bird shape. I'll bring her home next week. Get some pics, and show all of you what Real Beauty looks like!

Though I've owned a T-bird earlier on, the -76 model, I wasn't prepared for the neckdive on this one. I know the problem been up for discussion a couple of years ago, here on the Outpost. Anyone remember the best trick to get rid of the neckdive problem?

And, one last thing: How come Bach came up with such a strange idea as to start producing the Fenderbirds? I can't see a great economic potential in that. From where came the idea? Could it have anything to do with influences from a certain Nederlandic voice? (Step forward, Rob! If there's a story here to tell, please tell it!)

I can't help you with neck dive suggestions but the story behind these is that Rob approached BaCH with the idea back in 2008. There were 50 tentative commitments to buy, so they went ahead with it.