Author Topic: Fender + bird = Fenderbride!  (Read 7383 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Re: Fender + bird = Fenderbride!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 12:34:32 AM »
Yes, I was one of them who ordered that bass. But it was the non reversed model. The Fenderbird is a different bird. Though I wouldn't  be surprised if Rob's got some info concerning the later? 🙄

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 01:15:52 AM »
Yeah, the BaCH Fenderbird was my initiative too. I figured there would be equally as much demand for those as for the Non Reverse Thunderbird. And maybe even more.
And there could have been. Had it not been that BaCH ruined the opportunity...
Just like the Non Reverse Tbird project,  I sent BaCH lots of photographs, vector drawings and specifications to base their build upon.
But (again) they did not pay attention. The shape of the pickguard was way off. The colour was way off. It should have looked exactly like John Entwistle's Fenderbird. But it didn't. It was disappointing.
And I had asked them specifically to make the Fenderbird exclusively for me. It was my order.
I was not amused to find out (during my summer holiday in Portugal) that all of a sudden they offered three different versions on their website (red with large pickguard, red with half pickguard and honeyburst with large white pickguard).
It was not what we had agreed upon (at all). I was so pissed off at BaCH that I refused to buy any of the Fenderbirds off them.
They tried all sorts of silly solutions for the pickguard. At one point they even added some sort of studs in the locations where the faulty screw holes sat. They were hideous.

I did not put the BaCH Fenderbirds on my website. And I did not promote them on any of the discussion boards as I had done with the NR Tbird.
But still people started ordering them via me once they found out about them.
So I did sell a few eventually.
Years later (when I let go of the idea that the half pickguard was unsurmountable) I started to offer them on my own website with the EY Guitar humbuckers.

They are fine bass guitars. But BaCH could have sold much more of them if they had done it like we had agreed upon.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
The classic first step in fighting neck dive is to swap the factory tuners for lightweight tuners.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 01:17:03 AM »
Yes, swap tuners. I put Hipshot ultralights on my Greco bird and it made a huge difference. It did require drilling a hole per each tuner though, and leaves many of the original 16 holes exposed, so it's not the prettiest on the back of the head.

If that doesn't do the trick, you could consider putting the strap button on one of the neck plate holes to shift the center of gravity a few cm back.  I think this requires a button made especially for this purpose. Never tried it.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
Thank's guys, for all your input. Just picked it up today at the luthiers place. Looked brand new! Real beauty! I'll try it out on Thursday nights gig.
Meanwhile, you'll have to get your comfort from this pic, photo by the luthier Leif Jakobsson, at Guitar Works, Umeå: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=guitar%20works&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 10:43:21 PM »
Thank's guys, for all your input. Just picked it up today at the luthiers place. Looked brand new! Real beauty! I'll try it out on Thursday nights gig.
Meanwhile, you'll have to get your comfort from this pic, photo by the luthier Leif Jakobsson, at Guitar Works, Umeå: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=guitar%20works&epa=SEARCH_BOX

I don't see the pic or your luthier.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 01:36:35 AM »
Not even when you scroll down a little bit? And, just to be clear about it, the luthier, Leif Jakobsson, is not in the pic. There's only yours truly, holding a bass that - after a few hours playing - seems quite heavy. Maybe I should go for the old Embassy instead...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 05:20:44 AM »
Nope, nothing.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »
Sorry. Do not know how to move the photo to this here place. I apologize...

When I was working, I was a reporter at a newspaper, I used computers for quite a long time, like 25 years. But the computer was only a smarter typewriter to me. Never learned to go beyond those limits. So I'm thinking that this fall should be the time to learn more, there must be classes for retired old farts so we can learn to ::EXPAND:: our consciousness... And I feel in need for it.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
You posted a link to a Facebook search. Click on the actual result you're referencing and copy that URL into your post.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
Found it.  It's "Sweden Guitarworks", not "Guitar Works".
https://www.facebook.com/SwedenGuitarworks/photos/a.10151225396885535/10157287494015535/

Cool bass!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »
Okay, now I see it. Nice bass! Will you be playing it Thursday with Shake Down?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 11:03:53 PM »
For those who don't have Facebook:

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 01:57:14 AM »
Thanks, Rob! And, yep, David: I'll try her out tonight. Though I'll also bring my T-bird pupped Ripper, as this here new mother is a heavy one. Around 4 kilos. Sometimes I think about Danelctro's single cut bass. Really good looking, nice sound. And light, it seems...