Poll

Now, why don't you like it?

Nothing good ever came after the bar bridge, intonation is for girls!
2 (2.7%)
Chrome yes, but a three point?
13 (17.6%)
I don't like it because it is short scale. That said, had it been long scale I wouldn't have liked it either for lack of historical accuracy. I like to be difficult.
10 (13.5%)
Everything in the old days was better.
9 (12.2%)
Gibson shouldn't be making basses, full stop.
3 (4.1%)
I'm with Uwe, won't change the world, but nice try and a cute bow to the past.
26 (35.1%)
This color totally rawks, way to go dude!!!
7 (9.5%)
Pelham what?
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!  (Read 33267 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
I like it and I am not in love with it. I feel like that scene in Chinatown. At any rate, there is no need for that puny lead pup. 

I have seen several and owned one original EB-0 with a broken headstock.  That was a problem on the early banjo peg basses, and directly related to them.  I haven't seen any EB-0s with neck joint issues though.  The chunkier neck joint is not a big problem for me in that regard, and its slight Monkey bass cutaway is unfortunate, but what are you going to do?  It is Gibson.  They only make accurate 59 Les Paul reissues.  Every other thing they reissue has something wrong with it, typically the bridge or tailpiece is whatever they are currently using.  So I am figuring on buying one of these around 2016 and stripping it, and doing it over my way.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2011, 12:18:16 AM »
It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. ;D

Not meant as a slight to your efforts Carlo, because it's surely a labor of love, but Lull beat you to it.....Ask TV Jones or the guys at SD as they both produce it for him.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2011, 04:08:18 AM »
Not meant as a slight to your efforts Carlo, because it's surely a labor of love, but Lull beat you to it.....Ask TV Jones or the guys at SD as they both produce it for him.

You could also say that about the Lull Fender guitar and bass clones and Duncan and TV Jones pickup clones they've been doing for years.  Somebody beat them to it.

The ThunderBucker clip on my site and Lull's fingerstyle neck pickup clip sound very different.  Which one sounds more like a '60s Thunderbird is for the listener to determine.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
In this forum of bitter and bickering old men, which you can never ever please, the little bass has an appreciation rate of 30% so far - not bad!

I'm expecting it to sound thuddier than an SG. You always hear extra wood.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
In this forum of bitter and bickering old men, which you can never ever please, the little bass has an appreciation rate of 30% so far - not bad!

That's probably a higher rate than it will get from the bitter, bickering young men who comment at Gibson's site.

With all the LP historically accurate reissues, one would think they could get at least one bass done right.

OTOH Gibson under Henry J. offers arrogance, ignorance and illegally imported woods. Can't get that combination anywhere else.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
A 'burst finish would require using a better grade of wood and a higher level of craftsmanship.  What do you want for $900 list or whatever it is? :rolleyes:

For LESS than $900, Gretsch delivered to me a hollowbody bass with impeccable finish, TV Jones Thundertron pickups and quality build throughout.  It's my avatar at present.

If Gibson can't do the same, they need new management.  A $900 bass should play like buttah and walk your dog!

As I said earlier, that bass looks extremely basic, and looks comparable to a Squier Bronco, ($150 at GC) or perhaps to one of the new Squier Vintage modified series - which DO come in a variety of colors, including 'burst, and sell at GC for $299.

That bass looks BORING, BORING, BORING, and as I mentioned earlier, looks like a Japanese knockoff that would sell around $200.  If it costs more than that, it's overpriced.

But I've always thought Gibson's prices were insane.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
For LESS than $900, Gretsch delivered to me a hollowbody bass with impeccable finish, TV Jones Thundertron pickups and quality build throughout.  It's my avatar at present.

If Gibson can't do the same, they need new management. 

As I said earlier, that bass looks extremely basic, and looks comparable to a Squier Bronco, or perhaps to one of the new Squier Vintage modified series - which DO come in a variety of colors, including 'burst.  AND - they sell at GC for $299.

That bass looks BORING, BORING, BORING, and as I mentioned earlier, looks like a Japanese knockoff that would sell around $200.  if it costs more than that, it's overpriced.

I was hoping you'd bring that up.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
Strong opinion available on request.   ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »
Hey, I'm a Sicilian.  Strong and/or unreasonable opinions the only ones allowed!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
Hey, I'm a Sicilian.  Strong and/or unreasonable opinions the only ones allowed!

Yes, but it's hard to gesture effectively in this medium.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
Yes, but it's hard to gesture effectively in this medium.

Also no middle finger emoticon.

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
Looks like it will be available in July with a street price will be $1229. I like it, but not that much.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Bass/Electric-Bass/4-String-Electric-Bass/Les-Paul-Junior-DC-EB11-Electric-Bass-Guitar.site1prodH71164.product

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
it does look like a 200 dollar introductory bass for only six times the price. amazing.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
Looks like it will be available in July with a street price will be $1229. I like it, but not that much.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Bass/Electric-Bass/4-String-Electric-Bass/Les-Paul-Junior-DC-EB11-Electric-Bass-Guitar.site1prodH71164.product

SImple typo.  Street price should be $122.90.

Chaser001

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
This bass is supposed to look basic.  If it is inspired by the LP Jr. guitar and 1960 EB-O bass, I don't see how it could look like anything other than this.  If it's a simple looking bass whose design is a nod to the past, but it sounds great, that would be part of its deceptive charm for me.  I realize that's a minority view, but I honestly can't look at this any other way.