Poll

Now, why don't you like it?

Nothing good ever came after the bar bridge, intonation is for girls!
2 (2.7%)
Chrome yes, but a three point?
13 (17.6%)
I don't like it because it is short scale. That said, had it been long scale I wouldn't have liked it either for lack of historical accuracy. I like to be difficult.
10 (13.5%)
Everything in the old days was better.
9 (12.2%)
Gibson shouldn't be making basses, full stop.
3 (4.1%)
I'm with Uwe, won't change the world, but nice try and a cute bow to the past.
26 (35.1%)
This color totally rawks, way to go dude!!!
7 (9.5%)
Pelham what?
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!  (Read 32960 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 11:19:12 AM »
New paparazzi shots of Dave W, walking his dog (no doubt fleeing from prog rock sound emissions), have just arrived!!!

I really was out walking my dog.

As Rob has observed, the new inner curves are a tribute to better neck joint stability. Since when is improving something a crime?

We don't know that. It depends on where the tenon starts and ends and how long it is. For all we know, it could be less stable. Not that Gibson would ever do anything to cut corners.  :rolleyes:

If your aim is to more or less reproduce a classic, you don't destroy its classic lines to make improvements. If you want improvements, redesign from the ground up. Or copy Fender designs.  :mrgreen:

Maybe Gibson should redesign the LP with less neck angle, a big volute and a three piece maple neck. I'm sure it will be very popular.  :P

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »
As Rob has observed, the new inner curves are a tribute to better neck joint stability. Since when is improving something a crime?

Total Gibson BS.  Hamer managed to make a 12 string neck stay put with out bastardizing the shape.  But I guess they G.A.S. IMO the sound of an original Mudbucker combined with the ability to blend it with the right (bright?) sounding bridge pup would be better than whatever Gibson had lying on the shelf and stuck in that thing.  Also would appeal to the generation that loves organ rupturing bass sounds.  Speaker reconers too!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
Total Gibson BS.  Hamer managed to make a 12 string neck stay put with out bastardizing the shape. 
Well thank you Carlo.
As you can see the Hamer doesn't have a pickup straight at the end of the fret board. So no deep routing there.
I can tell you for a fact that cutting away that much wood with such a neck joint design is asking for trouble.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »
Well thank you Carlo.
As you can see the Hamer doesn't have a pickup straight at the end of the fret board. So no deep routing there.
I can tell you for a fact that cutting away that much wood with such a neck joint design is asking for trouble.

I've owned one with that neck joint for 45 years with no problem...but it's made of real mahogany.  If the neck pup was screwing up the joinery move it or design a shallower pickup. Don't just uglify the thing.

I'm almost positive I've spent more money on pickup R&D in the last year than Gibson has.  That's SAD.

Chaser001

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
I'd reserve judgment on something like the LP Jr DC bass until actually playing it.  The original LP Jr guitar had very humble beginnings but is actually a great sounding guitar.  It greatly exceeded expectations. 

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »
I'm almost positive I've spent more money on pickup R&D in the last year than Gibson has. 

Money spent recreating / reverse engineering a Gibson design pickup  8)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
I'd reserve judgment on something like the LP Jr DC bass until actually playing it.  The original LP Jr guitar had very humble beginnings but is actually a great sounding guitar.  It greatly exceeded expectations. 

I dont know how it can be any different sounding than the SG reissue?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »
Money spent recreating / reverse engineering a Gibson design pickup  8)
It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. ;D

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »
I've owned one with that neck joint for 45 years with no problem...but it's made of real mahogany. 

Maybe you were lucky?
For example: none of my Gibson basses have ever had a headstock fracture.
That doesn't say the problem doesn't exist.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
But wasn't the original primitive too? That was part of its archaic charm. I actually find that they captured that utalitarian look quite well. Only a hammer paint fin could have enhanced that aspect more. Slab of wood sprayed in one color, two pups, bridge and tuners on it, finito!

Of course, a spalted maple top could have ...  :mrgreen:

They could have at LEAST offered a 2-color burst on it.....that thing makes a Telecaster look elegant.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
Maybe you were lucky?
For example: none of my Gibson basses have ever had a headstock fracture.
That doesn't say the problem doesn't exist.

That may be because from '66-'72 it didn't have a case of any kind and stands were nonexistant...did I mention the drugs?

OTH none of my 5 Gibsons has a broken neck.  I must be very lucky since the newest is a '67.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »
They could have at LEAST offered a 2-color burst on it.....that thing makes a Telecaster look elegant.

A 'burst finish would require using a better grade of wood and a higher level of craftsmanship.  What do you want for $900 list or whatever it is? :rolleyes:

Chaser001

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »

That wouldn't be a bad thing, though.  Actually, my mind is off the topic now.  I've just read through the thread on the short scale T-Bird and realized that is something I might seriously be interested in. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
Harking back to the re-issue RD - the pup selector just has to be LP positioned - boo-boo'd again

I like this bass though...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
A 'burst finish would require using a better grade of wood and a higher level of craftsmanship.  What do you want for $900 list or whatever it is? :rolleyes:

The MSRP is $1899.

Anyway, back to the neck joint.

Well thank you Carlo.

AFAIK there's been no unusual problems with the LP Doublecut Specials over the years, or with PRS guitars with the same curve at the neck joint. Both have humbuckers or P-90s right at the end of the neck. Plenty of thickness for a tenon to go underneath the neck pickup cavity and beyond. The historic problem was with the SG which just didn't have enough wood there.

It should sound noticeably different with of the extra body thickness. Just as the original Junior style EB-0 sounds different from the SG style.