Poll

Now, why don't you like it?

Nothing good ever came after the bar bridge, intonation is for girls!
2 (2.7%)
Chrome yes, but a three point?
13 (17.6%)
I don't like it because it is short scale. That said, had it been long scale I wouldn't have liked it either for lack of historical accuracy. I like to be difficult.
10 (13.5%)
Everything in the old days was better.
9 (12.2%)
Gibson shouldn't be making basses, full stop.
3 (4.1%)
I'm with Uwe, won't change the world, but nice try and a cute bow to the past.
26 (35.1%)
This color totally rawks, way to go dude!!!
7 (9.5%)
Pelham what?
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!  (Read 32962 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:23:30 AM »
It's clearly not a bass in a Junior shape. I don't see how anyone who knows the Junior/Special shape could think so.

The change of the original EB-0 had nothing to do with success. It was done b/c Gibson switched everything to the SG shape.

It's a short scale Monkey Bass. All it needs is a tacky TRC.

As if!

Anybody with less than severe eyesight impairment will regard the upper two basses as more similar than the lower two - the Mon(k)ey has an offset waistline. Dali did it.

The big dif of the newbie is that its inner cutaways are rounded as opposed to straight.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:41:47 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
You just never liked the original DC Junior look. To me, the original's almost symmetric curve is as distinctive as the Rickenbacker curve. This bass eliminates that, and for no good reason. It has none of the charm of the original. And as nice as the color is, it wasn't on the originals so it's not going to make anyone nostalgic.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »
As if!

Anybody with less than severe eyesight impairment will regard the upper two basses as more similar than the lower two - the Mon(k)ey has an offset waistline. Dali did it.

Anyone with a sense of proportion will see that the two stubby asymmetric horns of the new bass puts it in Monkey Bass territory.  :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
I'm no fan of symetric or near symetric basses, period, true. But I can see the charm in the utalitarian original Junior DC look. By and large, they have retained that look going a bit into SG and Ripper direction with the inner curves.

Man, you guys are sticklers, aren't you?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:16 AM »
Stop Press!!! Stop Press!!! Stop Press!!!

New paparazzi shots of Dave W, walking his dog (no doubt fleeing from prog rock sound emissions), have just arrived!!!

Chaser001

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 09:00:02 AM »
Someone has to break it to you: The era of the mudbucker is - like that of the biplane - over.  :mrgreen: You'd bring a kid to tears today if you gave him a seriously "real" EB-3 for Christmas and he would then vainly attempt to sound like his favorite bassists with it.

Bringing it out as limited edition is another matter. If, say, the Custom Shop did 30 EB-3s for about 4.500 bucks a piece, aged and all, they would probably all sell over time. Not quickly though.

A mudbucker sound is a joy for the player, but it doesn't really record well (though in the CD age you could at least hear those sublows for the first time) nor work well on a stage. Never did. We'd see and hear a lot more of them if it had been otherwise.

And I'd never thought I'd see the day where I would read a Martin Heidegger quote here!!!  :mrgreen:

Then you might like Heidegger's book "The Question Concerning Humbuckers."  I think he analyzes the pros and cons pretty well. 

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 09:26:36 AM »
I like it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
Needs more strings.  ;D Seriously, I really like it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
Someone had to try this-

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »
Needs more strings.  ;D Seriously, I really like it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

funny but that body looks almost identical the 59, certianly closer than the Gibson

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
in my uniformed opinion gibson should keep the iconic t bird and short scale eb stuff and dump the rest. does anyone know if these limited production items are really cost effective or just something to offer to folks like uwe. they come and go so fast it's difficult to get a handle on it all. i just can't see how/if they are making any money on the stuff. ???
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:07 AM »
As Rob has observed, the new inner curves are a tribute to better neck joint stability. Since when is improving something a crime?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:50 AM »
Mean they're not just making them for Uwe?

He still never got his Continental, I gues they could not get the trunk tire right?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »
But I now know why the Continental died an early death. Wanna know? Henry J. deemed it "too Tobias for Gibson" and the guy who had originated it as an idea had indeed been in charge of Tobias in the nineties.

I am currently hopefully establishing a contact to Gibson Custom Shop for my doubleneck short/long scale fretted/fretless SG bass with the D and the G of the fretted short scale doubled with octave strings. Of course Gibson builds basses just for me, what did you guys think? I am the only person ON EARTH who owns (and plays) all four SB models!!!  Mortals!!!! :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »

Just my .02 but I like it.
I'm not a short scale person tho so I'm not a likely buyer. I did enjoy Uwe's baby 'Bird a lot and awhile back I got the chance to play Dave's (PWV) Money bass, which quite honestly, was great.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...