Author Topic: Slade Time  (Read 32419 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Slade Time
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
 Jim's V bass I do believe was a Ibanez Rocket Roll Sr. I think. The same series as my '76 Destroyer. The US version of the V bass came with a P J set up (as did my Destroyer) while Jim's had the more traditional mudbucker/minibucker set up. Maybe his was a earlier version or the version imported to Europe. This bass turned up in Jim's hands long before the second coming of Metal in the early 80's.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Actually, those first mid-seventies Ibanez Flying Vs with the mockbucker and minibucker plus a behemoth of strange bridge were just that: Flying Vs. The Rocket Roll moniker came with the second series of Ibanez Flying V basses which might have been as late as early eighties, but not earlier than late seventies I believe, they are the ones with the p/j combination. I have falsely described my first run Ibanez Flying V as a Rocket Roll in the past too.

The first model (which is reputedly from as early as the 1973 Ibanez catalog):

The Rocket Roll one

From available TV footage, Jim played the older version already around Slade in Flame, I remember a How Does it Feel performance with it and also a Thanks for the Memory one (the - friggin' brilliant! - single following Slade in Flame).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1vI2QXTbc&feature=player_embedded#at=21

And before you all get carried away now: An Ibanez Flying V  sounds nothing :mrgreen: like it seems to sound in that official promo vid! He was probably using the JD on the recording judging from the raucous sound. Had Jim recorded it with the Ibanez, you would have hardly heard his entrance.

But it's a bass I fell in love with first time I saw it (not with Slade, but with a covers band in a nearby town circa 1977, but at something like 600 Deutschmarks it was unaffordable for a student back then). I've got one now though!  :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:09:05 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
 Thanks Uwe! '73 makes much more sense for Jim's V bass!  I had the chance to buy the second series V 2387B-CT or the Destroyer both were side by side  At the House of Guitars the only two I ever saw come in, soon many were cut up on the docks of NYC for copyright infringement. I'd love to add one of those Vs to my collection. My much modded Destroyer
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:59:06 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
That's it Uwe!  I have seen that video before ! Note the very clean looking Hiwatt DR201s in the background  :o Mine is in there somewhere!

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
And before you all get carried away now: An Ibanez Flying V  sounds nothing :mrgreen: like it seems to sound in that official promo vid! He was probably using the JD on the recording judging from the raucous sound. Had Jim recorded it with the Ibanez, you would have hardly heard his entrance.

Jim didn't have his JD in 75 when TFTM was recorded. That was acquired when they returned permanenetly to the UK in '77 after teh white EB3 was stolen. As you say the Flying V was a possibility, but I couldn't say whether the one in the video was his or a hired one. In '75 Jim was using his converted and recently refinished (white) EB3 & also a John Birch J2 bass in white which had been used for some of the Flame promos, (H had a matching JB SG, see the "Far Far Away" vid from Flame). Though I suppose tone-wise they would have been similar; it had one of the JB pickups that his custom (like Scott's) had, a near identical overdrive effect replacing the Gibson fuzztone but kept the Gibson mini-humbucker and the shorter scale.
I have pics of Jim in the studio in '73 using the same red EB3 as he did live. Also seen being played by Nod in this '73 vid (note H using his JB Superyob too, very thin sound, it was double-tracked in the studio)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
 Uwe you have one ? how about a picture please?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 04:23:07 AM »
Have I one what? An Ibanez Flying V you mean? Sure.

From what I have seen, Jim's was cherry like mine (the most common color of these, all I have seen were cherry) and he actually owned it too though he hardly used it live (for an encore of "Get down, Get with it" once I believe), it was basically a prop for miming on TV. I don't blame him, the Ibanez would have had issues cutting through at a Slade concert (I've seen them twice, I know their barbaric volume!) even through Jim's Chinese Wall of Hiwatts! It has a very mellow sound, belying its "rawk!"-looks, you could play it well with an acoustic blues guitarist though.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »
wow! thats cool. i want one
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 06:00:46 AM »
Flying V basses are an alluring thing but I have yet to find one that actually sounds good. And I have five from various makers! That shape is jinxed. But thanks for this thread for inspiring me to take my Dean DOA to the rehearsal today!

A beast of a bass with passive EMGs and active electronics, it still manages to not really sound full. But it needs to get out.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:52 AM »
I've seen him in a video using an early 80s "silverburst"(???); which is what prompted me to saying I don't know which colour is owned by him & which were borrowed for videos/trials. Though it wasn't until the early 80's i'view that he said he had one.
Could the lack of tone be due to lack of body mass? Are such basses a bit light in weight? It was certainly taken to be the reason for the SY's thin sound.
Jimmy on a V from the time of the i'view I had; no sound tho' for some reason - and not the V I was talking of seeing at the start.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 08:01:08 AM »
Flying V basses are an alluring thing but I have yet to find one that actually sounds good. And I have five from various makers! That shape is jinxed. But thanks for this thread for inspiring me to take my Dean DOA to the rehearsal today!
 A beast of a bass with passive EMGs and active electronics, it still manages to not really sound full. But it needs to get out.

Soooooo.........Assless chaps, or Spandex with that bass Herr Moderator?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
Diesel jeans and too-many-Scottish-Breakfasts-gut more like!  :toast:

"Could the lack of tone be due to lack of body mass? Are such basses a bit light in weight?"

All of the above. Flying Vs look mammoth, but are light, just like their guitar cousins (the basses don't have larger bodies btw, irrespective of maker). And, of course, the wood "comes in late", the main mass being in the extended wings, far away from where the neck meets the body. That is the (high) price you pay for that marvellous high register access (in the Dean's case: double octave, you can see in the above pic quite well how "forlornly" that long and rather thin neck sticks out of the body).

What makes Flying Vs preferred heavy metal equipment for guitarists is actually what makes them bad basses: That they sound inherently thin. That is great if you use ultra-distortion, hi-gain pups etc, lots of effects - a Flying V will then still deliver a non-mushy signal where a Les Paul would long be just a barrage of noise. And not look like a Telecaster (the guitar I find that it sounds most akin to). Likewise, if you are Rudolf Schenker and solely a rhythm guitarist and do not want to muddle up the overall sound with your playing. But who wants a thin sounding bass? There is a reason that among the legions of bass players, even the more flamboyant ones, there is no  one who ever made these "their" instrument. JAE, Testsu, Casady, Lea (I can't think of anybody else), they all just played them for a comparatively short time before discarding them again.

My best sounding one is my Dean Razorback (not the above one which has a much thinner neck and is set neck and not neck-thru). And that achieves a full, if not wholly remarkable sound via the following "tricks":

- aggressive active electronics,
- neck-thru construction,
- 35" scale and a phat and rather wide neck lending mass where the body fails to.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:33:58 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »

I hesitate to ask.......Scottish breakfast is?

Lard, fried to a crisp?.......
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
Full Scottish breakfast;
Fried egg(s)
Sausages
Square (Lorne) sausage
Bacon
Black pudding
Haggis
Baked beans
Mushrooms (optional - too healthy)
Fried bread
Tattie (potato) scones
Dumpling, (Clootie dumpling to be precise) like a slice of Xmas cake, fried - it is actually one of the best parts of the whole meal.

.......................... and a diet coke.

(not the last one - that was a lie)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:34:01 AM by Big_Stu »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »

I'd be friendless (due gas emissions) and fat (but happy) after such a meal  ;)