Author Topic: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review  (Read 44886 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2013, 06:16:36 AM »
Did the silver dust cap have a black dot in the center? If so, then it's probably an Eminence. Sans dot - JBL, Altec, EV, from my experience.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
Did the silver dust cap have a black dot in the center? If so, then it's probably an Eminence. Sans dot - JBL, Altec, EV, from my experience.

I couldnt tell.  But when I go back next week I want to see the speakers without the grill cloth on.  Then I'll know more.  If they aren't vintage, I have more bargaining power.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
 As far as I could tell it was all original.  I could see a silver center on the speaker cones.  Was that typical for speakers in this rig?

I don't know, but for older gear, that silver dust cap should be an indication of the JBL D-130 or 140 series...for bass, the 140's.  I don't have the expertise to know much about other brands that used similar dust caps.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

my 115 had a silver cone ev in it..  IIRC that was the upgrade MM offered.  needed to be reconed anyway as it  was kinda toasted.  sounds great now and ungraded to 4 ohm 400 watt.

open cab versus the sealed ampeg may attribute alot to the cleaner sound
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
I don't know, but for older gear, that silver dust cap should be an indication of the JBL D-130 or 140 series...for bass, the 140's.  I don't have the expertise to know much about other brands that used similar dust caps.

1971 Eminence in my Oliver P-500

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »
come to think of it i had an acoustic 404 cab with a silver cap CTS in it.   so we are no real help here.  sorry

but i do know the standard speaker was CTS and upgrade was the EV..   anything else would be aftermarket
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »
come to think of it i had an acoustic 404 cab with a silver cap CTS in it.   so we are no real help here.  sorry

but i do know the standard speaker was CTS and upgrade was the EV..   anything else would be aftermarket

Thanks, this helps.  Do you know if the grill cloth comes off from the front or am I in for a hassle if we have to approach it from the back?

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2013, 07:27:41 AM »
grill pops out just bring a very thin flat head or tool to avoid damaging the side of the grill..  velcro type holder and will be tight in the corners where the metal ends are

my 115 has 2 small side by side inputs in the back.  you might ask them the let you pop them out and loom in with aflashlight to see the magnet....
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2013, 07:32:54 AM »
grill pops out just bring a very thin flat head or tool to avoid damaging the side of the grill..  velcro type holder and will be tight in the corners where the metal ends are

my 115 has 2 small side by side inputs in the back.  you might ask them the let you pop them out and loom in with aflashlight to see the magnet....

Great, thanks!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
grill pops out just bring a very thin flat head or tool to avoid damaging the side of the grill..  velcro type holder and will be tight in the corners where the metal ends are

Yep - mine too (re the grille).  The first thing I do with any cab I get is to take the grille off and staple a piece of nylon webbing onto the back of the frame to use as a pull tab to get it off again in the future.... otherwise you just end up dinging up the tolex trying to pry it out (if you do that frequently , Like I do to try various speakers and generally tinker in there; the grille fit on my 115RH is particularly tight; real pain to get out, much more so than any other cab I have/had).

I don't think the jack peek idea is a good one.  You'll loose the jack in the cab and won't see much if anything - I may be wrong, but IIRC, there's no jack plate to unscrew just jacks in the wood..... could be wrong though... [google, google] ah, not a plate, but one of them cups like on an old Tele - best not to mess with those IMHO).  The best way to look inside the 115RH is to remove the speaker (no need to desolder, just unmount and look inside).  If you just take a pic of the cone with the grille off however, we will probably, between the lot of us, be able to tell you what it is, or narrow it down considerably anyway.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2013, 07:58:59 AM »
mine has two tele like plates that popped right out.  just installed with wood pressure no bracket.
JIM

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »
Yeah exactly, but take them out one too many times and they stop staying in place (just like old Teles, except they had a little retention clip vs these which don't).

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »
Yeah exactly, but take them out one too many times and they stop staying in place.

When they do, it's an easy fix.  But I'm sure you know that.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
Yeah, but

Least of all the seller.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
Yeah exactly, but take them out one too many times and they stop staying in place (just like old Teles, except they had a little retention clip vs these which don't).

guys i was only saying to  take them out once so he knows whats in there in case they will not let him open it up to see.   not like GC is run by people that have a clue....

i would probably replace then anyway as they are already almost 40 years old and are probably loose already...  mine is somewhat iffy and is overdue for a good plate and new jack anyway...
JIM