Author Topic: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review  (Read 44793 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 04:46:01 AM »
Wow, interesting mods.  I'll have to give it some thought.  I played the MM amp and Ampeg PF115 at practice last night and it sounded great.  My bandmates loved the sound and it was a definite improvement over the 12" Mesa cab and amp. A lot more depth and bass.  The speaker handled everything I gave it at high volumes and didn't fuzz out on me at all.  I can't believe the quality of this cab for the money.  It may not be top of the line but it does perform really well.  Hooked up with the Mesa 15" cab made for really nice sounding rig.  Although it looks like a mutt, nothing matches!

The amp was super as well.  The tone is so close to my old tube Ampegs (when I was a kid).  It was really fun to turn up the gain and introduce some old time distortion and play around with that sound.  I had the master vol at 7 and the gain (channel vol) at 2 and the tone was just perfect.  I am so pleased with the new sound/tone I've getting.  I should have listened to you tube amp fans a long time ago.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »
Just made a deal on 2 Ampeg Pf15HE cabs thanks to this thread GAS.   should get them in a few days.  will have to see how i like them but really thinking one cab needs to be ported for some extra umph.  Will try the horn out and no other holes and see if that is enough or if a second port is needed.  Hope it works out so i can change back when i come to my senses and realize a sealed cab is  deep enough.  i have a feeling it will be fine with my V4 and MM but will not be right with my SS amps....  BURP!!!!

The cabs sound really good for being sealed boxes, and go much lower than a vintage double baffle B15 cab. I probably wouldn't have tried porting it except for the fact I  A/B'd it against my B-100R, and the B-100R with it's rear ports just seemed to fill the room with more umpff or "booty" than the PF.  Not everyone wants that extra low end, and I can see why Ampeg went with the sealed design. When I run my stack, I usually run the top (sealed) cab with the horn in the middle position, and run the ported cab full range. Gives just enough extra lows without being overbearing.

Here's a link to a thread over at TB that covers all the mods I did, along with mods that other PF owners have done as well, such as adding the vintage kick stand and dog bone handles:    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-portaflex-pf115he-mods-866811/

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
Wow, interesting mods.  I'll have to give it some thought.  I played the MM amp and Ampeg PF115 at practice last night and it sounded great.  My bandmates loved the sound and it was a definite improvement over the 12" Mesa cab and amp. A lot more depth and bass.  The speaker handled everything I gave it at high volumes and didn't fuzz out on me at all.  I can't believe the quality of this cab for the money.  

For the money, it's a nice piece of gear- and I think they did a good job of combining elements of the classic B15 cab with features of the '60's solid state BT15 cabs for a  modern interpretation of the flip top design.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:05:55 AM by stiles72 »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »
For the money, it's a nice piece of gear- and I think they did a good job of combining elements of the classic B15 cab with features of the '60's solid state BT15 cabs for a  modern interpretation of the flip top design.

Where did you get the Ampeg ports?  Or are they third party?

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »
I ordered them directly from the Ampeg/LOUD parts department:  Tel: +1 866 858 LTEC (866 858 5832)  

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
Well, here she is, all set up.  What a motley looking rig!  But, in her defense, she sounds great and my bandmates love it.  Me too!  I still can't believe how I can drive that cheapo Ampeg speaker, but it handles everything I throw at it.  The volume is perfect for a small club.  The tone, and touch of overdrive, takes me back 40 years to my youth.  I love it.  I might switch the cabs and put the Mesa on top, but with the passive radiator in the bottom, I don't know how that might alter my tone/volume.  I might also try putting on on the floor, side by side to see how it does.

Either way, it's a winner!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »
Wish I could find one of those heads. I'd love to try one out.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
Wish I could find one of those heads. I'd love to try one out.

Yeah, if you could get it reasonably priced like I did, it's a good one.  This thing is in such great shape, it looks like it never traveled.  Maybe it just sat in a studio somewhere.  Who knows!?

FrankieTbird

• View Profile

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
Here's what Psycho Bass Guy said about their speakers:  Music Man amps do indeed have series-wired extension jacks.  Their 70's endorsers were mostly paid spokepeople brought to post-Fender fold. Clapton famously used stacks of them... unloaded with his old Bluesbreaker hidden backstage. The HD-130 makes for an excellent bass amp, but their cabinets were ported and used low-wattage drivers, so lots of them ended up blown.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
standard  were cts ,  some came with ev upgrade.  My 115H came with the ev but needed a recone.  had it upgraded to the 400 watts pro specks and 4 ohm coil.  sounds great and handles my fender super twin 180 watt head pretty well.  my other 212 cab needs some attention as the speakers get a littlebarking at high volumes.  I assume they are the cts squarebacks but haven't opened it up yet. for a reference point i got the more beat up looking but actually better internal condition from GC for about $550 about a year ago with the 115H cab.   Paid about $400 for the other head off feebay (needed some minor work and power tubes),  and about $250 for the 212 cab off TB from a somewhat local guy.   there are decent deals on the MM amps if you look around.

DR try the guitar channel.  It is much better....and the deep switch ,  which i seldom use,  is on the master circuit so works for both
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 09:44:37 AM »
standard  were cts ,  some came with ev upgrade.  My 115H came with the ev but needed a recone.  had it upgraded to the 400 watts pro specks and 4 ohm coil.  sounds great and handles my fender super twin 180 watt head pretty well.  my other 212 cab needs some attention as the speakers get a littlebarking at high volumes.  I assume they are the cts squarebacks but haven't opened it up yet. for a reference point i got the more beat up looking but actually better internal condition from GC for about $550 about a year ago with the 115H cab.   Paid about $400 for the other head off feebay (needed some minor work and power tubes),  and about $250 for the 212 cab off TB from a somewhat local guy.   there are decent deals on the MM amps if you look around.

DR try the guitar channel.  It is much better....and the deep switch ,  which i seldom use,  is on the master circuit so works for both

OK< I will try the guitar channel.  I remember you said that before and I didn't think of it at practice this week.  I'll give it a shot and report back!

As for speaker cabs with my HD 130, if I needed more, I'd feel comfortable with Ampeg cabs.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »

I bet this sounds pretty good:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINTAGE-MUSIC-MAN-HD130-STACK-108663625-i2970874.gc

I checked up on this rig and it's 50 minutes away from me in Buffalo.  I just might go and take a look at it.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
I'd totally take one of thiose 115RHes off your hands if you got it and didn't want both cabs.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)