Author Topic: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had  (Read 18013 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2012, 02:34:21 PM »
It is! Note the Vox bass!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
I like that 300 though I don't think I've seen one like it. The Cordoba body style with the crosshair grill like on the later Miradas looks great. The police wheels help too!
And yeah, I'd love to have a Sport Fury GT. Some guy over on a C body board I used to be on had one with a 440 6-pack. Stupid rare!

I added the cop wheels for the extra inch in width over the stock aluminum "road" wheels and "300" center caps. The '79 300 was essentially a Cordoba body with special trim, and the engine, drivetrain and suspension from Fury/Monaco cop car. The engine is also the same one that powered the 1978 Dodge "Little Red Express" truck. Chrysler built around 4000 Cordoba 300s and had a tough time selling them.

SFGT 440+6?
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/plymouth/sport_fury/1440026.html
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

Check out this website of Sport Furys and S/23s. They really are nice looking cars.

http://sportfurygt.homestead.com/GT.html
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
Is that Paul Revere & the Raiders?!

Almost looks like them!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
I recall that the chassis was very similar to a Vette with a 327(?) engine? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avanti_cars_(non-Studebaker)

That article says they used a Studebaker chassis. But it also says "citation needed."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
Hard to tell what the new owner would have done after buying the company.  Many parts were surely acquired from other manufacturers.  heck, half the parts of AMC cars during that period came from GM or Ford, and they were a lot bigger then the Avanti maker.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »
That article says they used a Studebaker chassis. But it also says "citation needed."

I'm recalling something from memory, possibly an old article about the car.  That's where I remember reading about the cart system of manufacturing they did in South Bend, along with the test drive info.  I recall the original owners were not just car dealers, but had run several attempts - Kaiser, Nash, Studebaker.  The story I remember stated that they decided to manufacture cars because they certainly weren't succeeding at selling them.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
After Studebaker ceased domestic car production in 1964 and then quit building cars in Canada in '66, the home town dealerships, Newman & Altman, got hold of the rights to build the Avanti, Larks and even trucks, I think. However, they only proceeded with the Avanti II. The originals were built on modified Lark convertible chassis and I think they kept that basic from through the 1980s. THe original Avanti IIs were powered by Corvette 327s and later received 350s and 400s.

A buddy and I took a tour of the Avanti factory in 1984 when they were still built in part of the original factory. The bodies were molded upstairs, finished and brought downstairs for assembly. At this time they had just received body colored bumpers. There was a new one outside the factory which was stunning. It was platinum-colored with black trim and almost silver colored leather seats.

We also took a tour of the Studebaker National Museum and they let us go in the back unsupervised. Not on formal display was the only car Bendix (of brake and supercharger fame) ever built, a Studebaker school bus, a tracked Weasel and an army 6x6. In the showroom they had a blue Studebaker sedan with less than 6 miles on it, driven straight from the original assembly line to that dealership when it was new. They owned the Packard Predicta show car, which sat in it's own glass case. It had roll up stainless steel t-tops!

Across town at the Discovery Museum a red '64 Sedan was only display. It had only 22 miles on it.

I'm not sure many people today realize or understand what Studebaker meant to South Bend, Indiana. They were in business there from 1852 to 1964. I'm glad I owned one and would like to own another.
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
If I've never mentioned it, my g-g-g-g-grandmother was Mary Studebaker.  Her brothers were wagon makers, and their descendents started the car company.  We're not sure why, but Mary is not buried in the family cemetery in Tipp City, OH.  She is buried just outside Dayton, in Philipsboro.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2012, 04:27:20 AM »
Cool history.  I remember my Dad taking about Studebaker-Nash cars when I was a kid.  I was born in Dayton, a great town!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

Check out this website of Sport Furys and S/23s. They really are nice looking cars.

http://sportfurygt.homestead.com/GT.html

Old news, my friend :-)
I used to own a '70 Sport Fury - unfortunately, not a GT:-( The headlight doors were so heavy and came down so fast that they literally scared people standing in front of the car.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2012, 06:22:50 AM »
My "work" car, 2005 Legacy GT. Room for a 2x15 and a 4x10.

My play car, 1986 Toyota MR2. It's my third one; I figure I drove almost 400,000 miles in 86 MR2s. This one not so much, it's only got 102K on the clock.

The first car I loved:

But not the best choices for living on a farm in the winter:

I hung on to the MGA for many years, sold it on ebay.

The dream car? Lotus Elise:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2012, 07:30:22 AM »
My work and play car is a Ford Ranger 4x2.

When I win the lottery I'll buy a Caterham 7, a Morgan three-wheeler, an Austin-Healey Sprite and a Hudson Hornet. I wouldn't mind a circa-1960 Lotus Elite but it would need a full time mechanic just to get it across a parking lot.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »
My work and play car is a Ford Ranger 4x2.

When I win the lottery I'll buy a Caterham 7, a Morgan three-wheeler, an Austin-Healey Sprite and a Hudson Hornet. I wouldn't mind a circa-1960 Lotus Elite but it would need a full time mechanic just to get it across a parking lot.

I loved my '99 Ranger!  I only sold it because I had too many cars after my father passed away.  Great little truck, but you didn't want to try any serious acceleration with the A/C on.