Author Topic: Lots of chrome in my life :)  (Read 13496 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Lots of chrome in my life :)
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
 "In my prime, I was able to put a Thunderbird, a Precision, AND a full Acoustic 360 rig in the back of my '73 Opel station wagon with no sweat."

I'm not much for vintage amps, but I'd really love to have an Acoustic 360..........What an amp!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:51:39 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2008, 07:59:29 PM »
it got recycled into a Hummer on steroids and used by Batman

Personally, I liked this one better

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2008, 05:09:44 AM »

I guess you guys wouldn't be familiar with the whole Volvo = old man wearing a hat and a cardigan and driving very badly conotation either?  Back in the 70's Ford did a TV ad here that had a guy in a new hot Ford getting cut off by this now stereotypical Volvo driver and ever since that all Australians weather they have seen the ad or not associate Volvo drivers like this.

Ironically I believe that Ford now own Volvo. ;D

They definitely had that image in the UK, so in 1994 Volvo entered a couple of 850 estates in the British Touring Cars championship. It wasn't the fastest car on the track, but it got them a lot of good press.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2008, 05:21:10 AM »
I had the first generation Volvo Cross Country and I loved that car!

The best seats made. Too bad it had a lot of small electronic issues.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »
They definitely had that image in the UK, so in 1994 Volvo entered a couple of 850 estates in the British Touring Cars championship. It wasn't the fastest car on the track, but it got them a lot of good press.

Yep they did very well in the Oz Touring car circuit. Notice the Southern Cross (stars) on the door panels in your pic?  Then think Australian flag. The logo on the side is for Clipsal Electrical. One of the biggest companies in Adelaide and probably the biggest electrical fittings company in this part of the world.

VOLVO Won 1985 European Touring Car Championship
VOLVO 4th 1985 Australian Touring Car Championship
VOLVO Won 1986 Australian Touring Car Championship

http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/240T_GpA_racing.htm

+1 regarding Volvo seats. The best I've ever used.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »
OUr Dutch hero and former Le Mans winner and F1 driver Jan Lammers was driving that Volvo station. And they sure had some good press! One day the put an enormous toy dog in the back of the car just for laughs!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »

It needs more chrome!   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
Chrome is good. In fact I just bought a set of Fralin Bassbuckers to install in the Fenderbird......shiny, shiny chrome.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
OUr Dutch hero and former Le Mans winner and F1 driver Jan Lammers was driving that Volvo station. And they sure had some good press! One day the put an enormous toy dog in the back of the car just for laughs!!

South Australia has a Le mans winner! No really! 

Vern Schuppan

24 hours Le Mans, winning in 1983 driving a Porsche 956 with Al Holbert and Hurley Haywood.

He is a bit of a legend here.

Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2008, 03:47:08 AM »
I rember that introduction of the 850 station wagon into the touring circuit - that was a clever ploy, of course they could like everyone have used a sedan, but 75% of Volvo's sales are station wagons.

In hindsight you can say that the 850's (which spawned today's V-70ies and XC-70ies) development from scratch (in the early nineties and prior to the advent of the 850, Volvo's passenger car line was hopelessly outdated, the 740/60ies and 940/60ies used rigid rear axles which mad Volvo laughing stock of the industry) only took place to "dress the bride". The 850 proved a smash hit and made Volvo's passenger car division (which had always relied on subsidies from the highly profitable truck division) all of the sudden attractive. Ford, which bought Volvo passenger cars in 1999, never regretted the move: It is making them - unlike Jaguar and Landrover which they sold off to Indian car conglomerate Tata recently - good money. GM which bought Saab for pretty much the same reason (buying a boutique brand) is envious as Saab never got out of the red.

Having driven Volvos since the early nineties (after an initial 480 hatchback, an 850, a V 70, an XC 70 and an XC 90, my current V 70 is my sixth model, I tend to lease them for three years and then move on), I can't say there was a decline in quality since Ford took over, in fact the opposite: They are a bit more on the beat with modern technology (though still a few years behind Mercedes or BMW) and workmanship has not only become esthetically more pleasing (gone are the days where discerning the interior design of a Volvo from that of a Russian T 34 tank was hard work), but also much better, BMW quality by now (not quite Mercedes) I would say (they only reached that quality level a few years ago). And it has never bothered me that components of my Volvos might be found in Fords, in fact I find it kind of reassuring to use mass produced components - if something is built a million times you can at least hope for construction faults having been eradicated along the line of trial and error, if not for the customers then at least to not be bothered with service issues.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2008, 04:04:48 AM »
Floor and I had a few Volvos in the past.
They steer like a tank, but I do think they're pretty cool:

We had a bordeaux Volvo 164. The one in the picture is not our car, but looks similar. Except for the doorhandles, we had the early model ones.

And Floor had a turquoise blue Volvo 142. Man, that was a cool looking car! The one in the picture is not the car she had, but it comes pretty close:

Nowaday we both drive Mercedes Benz old timers...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2008, 04:18:43 AM »
Cars from the fletsen thieves?  :o

You two have no shame.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2008, 04:21:27 AM »

You two have no shame.

The "fietsen thing" is no longer an issue since a certain German lawyer bought off that blemish with a prototype...  :toast:

Here's my Mercedes 230 CE (that I bought in Germany(!) last year)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:26:41 AM by Basvarken »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2008, 05:17:17 AM »

You two have no shame.

You know your 480 hatchback was designed and developed in the Netherlands by mr. Rob Koch from the Netherlands?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2008, 07:35:59 AM »
Figures. It looked great, but wasn't a very good car.  :mrgreen: