Author Topic: Babicz 3 Point Bridge FCH-3  (Read 15095 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Babicz 3 Point Bridge FCH-3
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »
It's funny - I got my '64 EB-0 and immediately removed the Badass bridge that was on it.  I called Hipshot about the adjustable bridge but it wasn't in production yet.  The next day, I opened the little storage compartment in the EB-0 case and found the original bar bridge in it.  Problem solved!  That bar bridge works fine IMO.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 03:28:22 AM »
I open the storage compartments all the time, hoping a nickel bar bridge with the slim forks (just like yours!) shows up...
I'd love to get one for my '63 EB0F, wich for the time have the 3 point. There is one on ebay now, but for the moment out of my
price range...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 06:56:44 AM »
True that amptech. The chrome 2 pointers are flimsy as all get out but the nickel ones actually had some heft to them. Wish someone with access to a machine shop could crank out some replicas.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:07 AM »
True that amptech. The chrome 2 pointers are flimsy as all get out but the nickel ones actually had some heft to them. Wish someone with access to a machine shop could crank out some replicas.

Thought of it. Does anybody know the alloy? Is it zinc?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »
Is that now standard with new SGs and TBs? Sieht gut aus!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Nice looking bridge! Looks like something I drew up years ago. Oh Well you snooze you lose.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »
Is that now standard with new SGs and TBs? Sieht gut aus!

I don't think anyone's saying that.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
The one thing I don't like about this (and the hipshot) is that it sits on the body - I've seen folks remove the hipshot and there's an indentation in the wood.  No thanks for my vintage bass (I actually like the 3 point, sure not perfect, but works well), but for a new one it's OK I guess (if it's stock).  Maybe it was cranked down to hard, I dunno if it would be stable if the posts were loosened as I've not used one myself.  I also suppose one could cut out a protective base plate out of 1MM aluminuim or something, to prevent body damage.

As for 2 point replacement, I love my Schaller 460.   No longer in production though.  Bar bridge is good, but as I play higher up the neck a lot (wannabe rhythmn guitar), intonatability is a must for me.

I have wondered recently, what Wilkinson (Gotoh) would come up with if they decided to enter this market.  I was recently very impressed with one of their geetar bridges on a Ric a customer had in for a setup and a pup fix (one coil dead - converted it to a single coil; now has a Fender sound option and balance between pups is surprisingly good).  So (easily - philips vs allen and not under the strings etc) adjustable and solid.  The whole axe was very nice actually, just didn't dig the look so much.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »
As I understand it, Trevor Wilkinson is the designer. He licenses his designs to Gotoh or Sung-Il. No reason he couldn't come up with his own design, but there would have to be enough of a market for Gotoh or Sung-Il to want to produce it.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »
That bridge would look cool on a 20/20! :D 
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:43:56 PM »
The one thing I don't like about this (and the hipshot) is that it sits on the body - I've seen folks remove the hipshot and there's an indentation in the wood.  No thanks for my vintage bass (I actually like the 3 point, sure not perfect, but works well), but for a new one it's OK I guess (if it's stock).  Maybe it was cranked down to hard, I dunno if it would be stable if the posts were loosened as I've not used one myself.  I also suppose one could cut out a protective base plate out of 1MM aluminuim or something, to prevent body damage.

As for 2 point replacement, I love my Schaller 460.   No longer in production though.  Bar bridge is good, but as I play higher up the neck a lot (wannabe rhythmn guitar), intonatability is a must for me.

I have wondered recently, what Wilkinson (Gotoh) would come up with if they decided to enter this market.  I was recently very impressed with one of their geetar bridges on a Ric a customer had in for a setup and a pup fix (one coil dead - converted it to a single coil; now has a Fender sound option and balance between pups is surprisingly good).  So (easily - philips vs allen and not under the strings etc) adjustable and solid.  The whole axe was very nice actually, just didn't dig the look so much.

I agree with you about the indentation aspect, tho it may not really matter. A three point will do it too, two of my '76s were that way before being refined.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 08:06:05 AM »
I've never had that with a 3 point.... though if you crank it down low enough obviously it is possible.  People do stupid shit to instuments over the years.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 09:41:09 AM »

Pretty easy to see here........One of my '76s before it went to the paint shop, Gibson's inserts don't have a lip so the studs can be cranked all the way down when you're in search of low action and trying to compensate for a broken headstock repair that has twisted over time - I love a good three point!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
  I love a good three point!

Now you're just trying to make trouble, aren't you??   ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »

Yes, yes I am  ;D