Author Topic: New 2009 Grabber II and, yes, even the Ripper!  (Read 49144 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Re: New 2009(?) Gibson Grabber !!
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 01:33:26 AM »
Concerning  the Westone "The Rail": Now, that's one ugly sucker! I don't care about it's qualitys. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Brrrrr.............

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 06:07:37 AM »
Yeah! On a motorized track that could be adjusted on the fly - like the power windows in your car. With stored presets as well. And a coffee maker.

Oh you must be talking about the new NEW Grabber Robot?  :mrgreen:
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 07:11:10 AM »
Has anyone tried TB pickups on a Maple bodied bass ?

The Holy Crap bass is about as close as you can get to that.  This is the bass that I call the paint peeler.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 08:11:48 AM »
But those are Bartolinis, probably from a Les Paul DeLuxe, not TB Plus pups which found use on the LP Special in their soap bar and on the LP Standard in their chrome version.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 08:30:16 AM »
But those are Bartolinis, probably from a Les Paul DeLuxe, not TB Plus pups which found use on the LP Special in their soap bar and on the LP Standard in their chrome version.

That's why I said "as close".  The Barts aren't exactly TB pickups, but they're pretty close.   ;)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 08:40:19 AM »
I've never heard them passive. Souped up with the TCT active circuit they sound a lot cleaner and less middish than TB Plus pups souped up with the same circuit.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 06:07:28 AM »
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAG2SECH/

$1749 is a much better price in my opinion. Wait till they get discounted like the GOW basses did on Ebay.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »
I can't see many being sold at $1749.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
You're being very, very negative here, Dave.  Gibson bass sales have gone from strength to strength and now this. As if putting out an expensive remake of a once budget bass that went out of style decades ago wasn't a recipe for success.

OTOH: Isn't that what Höfner did with their 500/1? Someone call Sir Paul quickly and entice him to play a Grabber. Retroactively.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
I don't really want one, but would get one if the price was right, just to satisfy curiosity.

If one came up on ebay in two months time with a 'buy it now', what would it have to be before you hit it?

Question aimed at anyone/everyone...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »

I think its a pretty cool bass,  $1749.00 in today dollars isn't obscene for a new instrument, especially since its a set neck construction. That said, used vintage doesn't go for that much so.............
Also since we here tend to follow and enjoy Gibson more so than most we are perhaps a bit biased about old vs. new.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »
$1749.00 in today dollars isn't obscene for a new instrument

And a USA made one. Try to buy a USA Lakland for that. All that could buy is a new Skyline.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »

Page after page of bellyachin' about 7ender price increases elsewhere.....................
I deal with one Lighting Mfg in Skokie, Il. that has raised their prices 3 times in the last 10 months, stuff just costs more now, we'd all better get used to it.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
I think its a pretty cool bass,  $1749.00 in today dollars isn't obscene for a new instrument, especially since its a set neck construction. That said, used vintage doesn't go for that much so.............
Also since we here tend to follow and enjoy Gibson more so than most we are perhaps a bit biased about old vs. new.

No, it's certainly not obscene. Still, it's a reissue of a lower line bass priced as a premium bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
And a USA made one. Try to buy a USA Lakland for that. All that could buy is a new Skyline.

Apples and oranges. Lakland's a small shop. Compare that to other factories. You can buy a new Rick 4003, MM Stingray or Sterling or AS Fender P or J for less than $1749. And all of those are successful designs.