Author Topic: Oops, German engineering is superior, but......  (Read 8089 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Oops, German engineering is superior, but......
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »
Of course not.  They will perform ablutions, spend a potload of money fixing the cars, and resume normal operation.

I agree.  If GM can survive, VW certainly can.  My daughter recently bought a new Passat, what a beautiful car, inside and out.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
WV is just too big to fail. Just like Germany. ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
... My daughter recently bought a new Passat, what a beautiful car, inside and out.

Not if you're 6'1", which I presume she is nowhere near... The 2012 Passat I had for work had a huge front windo post that I had to dodge my head from side-to-side to see round, and the only way I could overcome the rear-view mirror taking up 1/2 of my vision was to wind the seat right down and peer under it... oh yes, and the leg room and my un-svelte-like leg trunks (as opposed to the Fraulein's) ...

Now... my T3 was the best van I've ever driven, end...of...story... just loved that beast... 
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2015, 03:32:39 PM »
Wasn't that Coverdale fellow the singer in the third iteration of a popular British hard rock outfit featuring a certain temperamental lead guitarist?

It would be easier to list the people that haven't been in DP..........  :P
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
i can see where uwe got his over the neck fretting gimmick. :sad: although i did see it done in the early seventies. :o

Guilty as charged. I found Sarzo hugely impressive with Quiet Riot. With Whitesnake and turned blond he was disappointing.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
i can see where uwe got his over the neck fretting gimmick. :sad: although i did see it done in the early seventies. :o

I wonder how far back that goes. I distinctly recall reading eyewitness accounts that Entwistle did that in the Who's early days playing clubs (would have been 64 or 65), though I've never seen photos of him doing it.  And I tend to assume the earliest example of something I've heard of is not the very first time someone did it.

Sarzo is probably the only guy I've seen to reach his right hand up from under the body:
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2015, 06:13:39 AM »
Thinking about it, I saw it first with the great John McCoy, here at 1:31 and in the second vid at 1:42, whose ostinate root note in eighths pick-playing (and continuous dampening with his fretting hand) was an even bigger influence on me than Herr Sarzo's fretboard magic.

Sarzo had better chest hair though. Say what you will about Quiet Riot, but in the '83 RockPop show in Dortmund

that introduced theses rabble rousers to Germany, they kicked the proverbial butt and were on fire, with DuBrow's screamy vocals soaring, they were easily the most dynamic of all bands that evening/night though they were by no means the headliner among all the heavy metal royalty there. That event is generally seen today as setting off the heavy metal craze in Germany and it was followed by the first time appearance of magazines such a Metal Hammer dedicated to heavy music only soon after.

Herr Sarzo in full Playgirl centerfold splendor at 3:29.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:13:27 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
I'm rubbing my eyes, a Dutchman defending deutsche carmakers caught cheating? The world is off-kilter ...  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Did I mention that I hate the look of a Golf? It's the P Bass of cars.  :mrgreen:

I always call P basses the VW Golfs of basses;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
I wonder how far back that goes. I distinctly recall reading eyewitness accounts that Entwistle did that in the Who's early days playing clubs (would have been 64 or 65), though I've never seen photos of him doing it.  And I tend to assume the earliest example of something I've heard of is not the very first time someone did it.

Sarzo is probably the only guy I've seen to reach his right hand up from under the body:

I've seen Sam Bolle do that while holding the bass over his head, and while Dick Dale plays the strings with drumsticks.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2015, 04:12:30 AM »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2015, 06:48:57 AM »
Lotsa of European industry analysts saying everyone is doing it in the news during the last 24 hours.  Mercedes is up next looks like.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2015, 05:35:00 AM »
Sarzo is probably the only guy I've seen to reach his right hand up from under the body...

There is a slappity bassist called Quintin Berry, that plays like this 100% of the time. There are videos of him playing with Vic Wooten and co on Youtube. In an interview I saw, he claims he developed the technique because he moved onto bass from the violin, so is used to commanding the instrument from the treble side, not the bass side.

Note the shifted controls.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »
I also changed from violin to bass, but if you move to upright, playing that way isn't an option.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »
Whats makes you think American cars aren't affected?
I'd say any car with software under the hood is candidate

Bringing this thread back up -- Renault Shares Drop on Apparent Fraud Probe Into Emissions

Won't have much impact in the US as they haven't been sold here for a number of years.