Author Topic: Uwe might like this neighborhood  (Read 1309 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Uwe might like this neighborhood
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:41:12 PM »
FB post from one of my cousins:

"There is a new neighborhood off Rodd Field Road in Corpus Christi - no houses yet, but the street signs are up: Clapton, Gilmour, Blackmore, Vaughan, and Allman (surely named for Duane, not Greg). They need to add a Hendrix Street to go along with the other guitarists."

I wonder if Uwe needs a second home on the Texas coast? All roads lead to you-know-who.  ;)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: Uwe might like this neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 01:28:39 AM »
Jimi's got a street in Almere NL too. My parents live on the extended part of it which they ( foolishly ) gave another name. I remember there were waiting lists for the houses in the Elvis and Golden Earring Streets in the same neighborhood.

We've got a Deep Purplestraat in Lent too, no Richies available so I'm afraid our fearless leader has to move to Corpus Christi ( what a name for a town  :o ) for that "pleasure" .......

On a Corpus Christi note .........

Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 04:21:32 AM »
I've already been to Corpus Christi, so there!!! Spent the holidays around 90/91 at Christmas time there. In a beach apartment. The weather was weird. Warm, humid and totally hazy/foggy, the sun never really came out, not very Christmassy at all but - last I heard - Corpus Christi's days as an alpine resort are long gone (last ice age or so?).

Best incident while we were there: It's Saturday night and we wanted to go out eat something. Couldn't find downtown. So we ask a guy who's walking alongside the road and his answer is ingrained in my memory: "I don't think there is a downtown here."  :mrgreen:

Martina was pregnant with Teresa back then, but didn't know it yet. But she complained that the suspension of our rental Mustang 5.0 was "too darn hard" and felt nauseous at times.  And I was wondering: "That girl never had issues with suspension or nausea before?!" Happy days.  ;D Teresa has a penchant for fast cars and speed in general to this day - that Mustang sure left its mark!  :mrgreen:

So I spent Christmas once in the Body of Christ. How many of you guys can compete?

Afterthought: Corpus Christi now has the Holy Spirit with Blackmore Road (Blackmore is ubiquitous after all) down pat - all they still need is something named after God Father for the Holy Trinity to be complete. And someone in the urban planning department knows Deep Purple, always a good thing. But my work is still not done.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »
Methinks they also need a Dick Dale Drive.   :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 12:50:50 AM »
Methinks they also need a Dick Dale Drive.   :mrgreen:

Wrong coast ........  ;)
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »
Christmas in Corpus Christi  ???  It's a nice little city but not a real tourist hot spot. 

Incidentally this is the starting point for nice beaches in Texas.  Just across the bridge is Padre Island - a barrier Island that runs all the way to Mexico.  The further south you go the nicer it gets - I've seen pristine blue water at the border several times. 

I'm surprised you didn't opt for Austin - it was still kinda funky in the early 90's.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:57:15 PM by Lightyear »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:38 AM »
There was nothing wrong about the beaches there and we actially went down those islands too, but around that time you could have filmed a remake of John Carpenter's The Fog there. Warm weather and fog is kind of spooky/end of days.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 09:00:41 AM »
After JoAnn and I moved to Texas (Bryan/College Station, deepinahearta) in the summer of 1985, we had no kids and no relatives in the area.  We went to South Padre Island for Christmas.  Stayed at the Marriott Galvez, a more than 100-year-old grand hotel on the beach.

They had a big buffet for Christmas dinner, and it was quiet since it was off-season.  Really a rather relaxing way to spend a few days, down at the southernmost tip of that barrier island. You can see Corpus at the north end of this map and South Padre at the bottom. It's near the southernmost tip of Texas...it was an 8-hour drive from Bryan, which is only 90 miles from Houston.

Two years later we had our first child on December 13, so that changed the agenda a bit.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."