Poll

Mirror, mirror on the wall (you have two votes) ...

Easy, Ray Dietrich rules: original Thunderbird (Reverse)
24 (27%)
Naw, I like ugly things for the heck of it: Thunderbird (Non-Reverse)
11 (12.4%)
Nothing says rock like an Explorer!
4 (4.5%)
Meee, I like EBeees/SGeees ... (as in SG style EB-0, -3, -4, -Z and SG Bass) they're the sunshine of my love!
13 (14.6%)
Fat-bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round: Grabber/Ripper/G-3
3 (3.4%)
Mainly because ze krauts kän't pronounz it pröperly: Flying "V"
0 (0%)
I like it when Gibson steals and then thinks better of it with the headstock: Victory
1 (1.1%)
If it ain't hollow, it ain't no bass: EB-2, LP Signature, EB 335 and stuff ...
6 (6.7%)
If only Paul had played the real thing: original EB/EB-1
3 (3.4%)
RDeees are my personal nirvana ...
5 (5.6%)
Hell, I'm a failed guitarist: Les Paul (Singlecut), whether hobbit or 90ies ...
9 (10.1%)
Hollow, but singlecut: EB-650/EB-750
0 (0%)
I'm a failed guitarist too, but hide it cleverly: Mon(k)ey Bass/SG Doublecut
1 (1.1%)
The solitary beauty: Doublecut LP Junior shape (as on the original EB-0), this vote is reserved for Dave W!
6 (6.7%)
Earthlings, I am a superior life form: 20/20!!!
2 (2.2%)
Because somebody has to like them: Those new EB Basses with the Babicz hardware.
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: The mother of all polls: Nicest Gibson design used for bass, visually speaking??  (Read 10612 times)

westen44

• View Profile
I'll take a short scale SG-body like the EB-0.

Simple, light, well proportioned.  You see it and you KNOW it's a Gibson (unless it's a spinoff Epi.)

It's probably not as outright pretty as Justin Hayward's 1963 cherry red 335 guitar, http://justinhaywardguitar.com/ but it says Gibson.

I completely agree with everything you're saying.  I wish I could have said the same thing myself.  But since this is supposed to be limited to design and the visual, I have to say TBird, both versions. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Then you get into how colors affect the bass. I think an all black RD is amazingly beautiful, just as I think an all black Victory is gorgeous. I think natural finish Bass IVs are beautiful but the painted ones are hideous. Go figure, and I have not Italian in me...

I totally get that! Agreed on the IV, and conversely, a black RD looks killer, as you said, but I'd have zero interest in a natural one.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who voted for the doublecut Junior shape original EB-0. My other vote was for the SG/EB shape. Both in heritage cherry, of course.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
I totally get that! Agreed on the IV, and conversely, a black RD looks killer, as you said, but I'd have zero interest in a natural one.

I guess it could be agreed that mine is anything but "natural..." :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Yes, I know it's the SPCB, but (1) as you have pointed out before, it's really royal blue and (2) you have a 5-string red version.

Much like the Wehrmacht, that design would have conquered the world if they had only let it!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who voted for the doublecut Junior shape original EB-0. My other vote was for the SG/EB shape. Both in heritage cherry, of course.

Huh, so far that doesn't even have a vote?! That is option 14, not 4!!! Did you miscast your vote?

I am surprised how little votes the SG devil horn shape has drawn, when we last had a poll like this some years ago that shape came out second after the TB (both Rev and Non-Rev). Where have all the SG-shape EBlers gone?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:37:49 AM by uwe »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
OK, so I'm predictable, I voted hollow body and non-reverse.  What else is there????  Oh, I didn't notice the other choices!   8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand, the vote from Lapland goes to....... Reversed T-bird..........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.......Eb0-59! That's all from the Laplandian jury, sirs!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Are you Lapland tonight, do you miss me tonight, are you sorry we're skiing apart?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Huh, so far that doesn't even have a vote?! That is option 14, not 4!!! Did you miscast your vote?

I am surprised how little votes the SG devil horn shape has drawn, when we last had a poll like this some years ago that shape came out second after the TB (both Rev and Non-Rev). Where have all the SG-shape EBlers gone?

Option 14 has 5 votes. You must have been looking at the line above.

I voted 4 and 14.

Much like the Wehrmacht, that design would have conquered the world if they had only let it!

It's a nice looking body shape, IMHO. With the right electronics and without the pinstriping, it could have been a hit in the late 80s.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
It sure took the devil horns of the SG to new extremes (bit like a Punisher does!)! In that way it did continue long loved Gibson tradition.

You're right about the voting, the way my computer shows it, the outcomes are not aligned to the options - duh!  :-[ So SG-EBs (and not Explorers, I was wondering) are still the most favorite shape after TB Revs and Non-Revs. Nothing ever changes here.  :mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
This one.  First one in, it will be the last one out.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
I voted Les Paul Bass and (reverse) Thunderbird.

Les Paul Bass because it is the best bass in my opinion.
And Thunderbird because I think it is the most iconic bass Gibson ever built.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:54:20 AM by Basvarken »

chromium

• View Profile
Voted reverse Tbird - a lifelong favorite.

Might have considered explorer, but Gibson never seems to get that body right on a bass (IMHO).  If they would only just trace an import Epi... or a Hamer Standard...

mc2NY

• View Profile
Yeah, have to vote original reverse TBird....but Les Paul Sigs are a close second, with a warm spot for the original EBO (although Hamer did them better :)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:18:33 PM by mc2NY »