Author Topic: EB-13 knob removal  (Read 683 times)

leftybass

• View Profile
EB-13 knob removal
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
I've read a few places that, probably due to the push/pull feature, the knobs are glued on. Anyone know if this is fact? I've tried "normal" methods of removal to no avail. I want a different pickguard made so I gotta remove the knobs, etc.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

chromium

• View Profile
Re: EB-13 knob removal
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »
I use some leftover nylon cord from upholstery work for removing stubborn knobs.  You can probably find something suitable at a hardware store, craft store, etc.  I just slide a length of it under the skirt of the knob and use it to carefully leverage the knob up.

If it is truly glued on (shame on them), careful application of a heat gun may help to soften the adhesive enough for it to give way.

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Re: EB-13 knob removal
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:38:38 PM »
I use some leftover nylon cord from upholstery work for removing stubborn knobs.  You can probably find something suitable at a hardware store, craft store, etc.  I just slide a length of it under the skirt of the knob and use it to carefully leverage the knob up.

If it is truly glued on (shame on them), careful application of a heat gun may help to soften the adhesive enough for it to give way.

Last time I had work done on my EB before I sold it, my tech had to replace one of the push/pull pots because it fell apart when he had the audacity to try to remove one of the knobs.  I also know that it happened to one of my friends who had a red 2014 EB and they tried to remove the knobs to get the pickguard plastic peeled off.  Pulled the shaft right out of the pot.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons