Author Topic: Why it REALLY pays to know your music!  (Read 5537 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Why it REALLY pays to know your music!
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
I was just watching a TV show and saw a new commercial for GMC SUVs.  It talked (of course) about how nice the vehicles were, and how they were the real thing, the genuine article.

That's fine. But the music that introduced the commercial and ran underneath was 100% WRONG for the message. 

It was....wait for it......

The Who doing "Eminence Front."

Can there be any greater irony than a commercial pushing its product as the real thing while the music behind it is all about being a fake, being a false front, and being a phony??

The music never gets past the instrumental intro, so the lyrics never come up. But anyone who knows the music and its message  should realize how deeply ironic the music and the commercial are. I suspect the licensing firm that allowed the music to be used giggled while signing off on the spot. I'm sure they got it even if GM's ad agency didn't.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Why it REALLY pays to know your music!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 04:48:51 AM »
Nice.  Kind of like Disney Cruises using "Lust for Life" in their commercials.  Did they not realize it was a song about heroin?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
Or Wrangler using the opening line of CCR's Fortunate Son... exactly opposite of the way it was intended.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:01:45 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 01:52:17 PM »
I don't remember that one at all. Makes me glad I didn't watch much TV at that time.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:03:08 PM »
Just before Christmas, I heard the soundtrack for the ZZ Tops song, "I Thank You" used in a chocolate commercial. "You didn't have to shake it like you did, but you did, but you did, & I thank you!"
Many years ago, a new magazine for todays woman hit the stand called "First". They used the soundtrack from the J. Giels song, "First I Look At The Purse". Not the message the magazine would like advertising to it's target buyer...........
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:43:14 AM »
Furry purses you mean then? 8)  I'll never listen to that song innocently ever again.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 12:37:56 PM »
Just before Christmas, I heard the soundtrack for the ZZ Tops song, "I Thank You" used in a chocolate commercial. "You didn't have to shake it like you did, but you did, but you did, & I thank you!"
Many years ago, a new magazine for todays woman hit the stand called "First". They used the soundtrack from the J. Giels song, "First I Look At The Purse". Not the message the magazine would like advertising to it's target buyer...........

Could be worse. Can you imagine a jeweler using ZZ Top's "Pearl Necklace"?  :o

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Encapsulated... there are some strange folks out there...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »
Could be worse. Can you imagine a jeweler using ZZ Top's "Pearl Necklace"?  :o

No, but Helzberg Diamonds used "Mojo Box" from SCOTS one year.  I thought that was pretty cool.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »
and then there are these.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-star-commercial-jingles/

Those are fantastic!  The Paul Revere Judge spot is a perfect "period piece"...and the Moody Blues spot is so dang smoooooth...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 02:54:19 AM »
We weren't used to our pop bands doing commercials in Holland back in the day. It took the Golden Earrings some time to live that commercial down, people called them the Cola Earrings for years ........  ;)
Experience is the ultimate teacher

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
We weren't used to our pop bands doing commercials in Holland back in the day. It took the Golden Earrings some time to live that commercial down, people called them the Cola Earrings for years ........  ;)

Of course I wasn't there, but I don't know why they objected to the Coke commercial.  Cream's Falstaff commercial is even on their compilation CD set.  Several years ago, I saw Barry Hay on a sunglasses commercial and that seemed fine. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 09:50:14 PM »
Lately, there's been a car commercial (Acura?) with an instrumental version of the Pixies song "Where Is My Mind?".
So, the message is, if you buy this car, you've lost your mind?

Last year the same band had their song "Gigantic" used to sell iPhones.  That one was about ... well, about a large dark skinned phallus.
How that relates to iphones, I won't speculate.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy