Author Topic: Neck-thru Stingray coming  (Read 5201 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Neck-thru Stingray coming
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
New bass models shown starting at about 3:25

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Neck-thru Stingray coming
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:42:07 AM »
Interesting!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
The only thing I am liking about MM stuff these days is the contours on the neck thru (both guitar and bass).  Everything else they're doing is totally not what I'm into (do they even have any passive stuff anymore?  18V preamp on that Stingray = 2x9V batteries; yeowzers). 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
Did MM ever had passive basses?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
I thought they had the option here n there, but maybe that was user mods.... Wait, yes, the SUB had a passive version at least.  Those were decent basses at a good price point.

Also the guitars used to be passive IIRC.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
All of their single coil guitar models have a "silent circuit" to eliminate hum; not sure of the details. It's battery powered but the electronics still work without a battery.

AFAIK the 6-string Silhouette Bass Guitar and the discontinued passive SUB are the only passive basses they've ever made. I saw many SUBs back when they were current, only ever saw one of the passive ones. Mine is active.

I didn't hear any mention in that video of 18v in the Stingray, and it still looks like a single battery compartment on the back. They have been using an 18v preamp on the Bongo since it was introduced in 2003.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
The Big Al and Reflex are 18v, with a passive switch.  The Bongo is 18v but does not have a passive switch.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
I'm way late to this party I'm sure, but... how is a two-pickup bass a "stingray" ?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:30 AM »
IMO, if they're going to make a neck-through 'Ray, it also needs to have a through-body stringing option for the bridge. It was telling how the EB guy in the video was over the moon describing all the guitar features, but when he got to the basses, it was basically, 'This is the so and so and uh, it does this...'; you could tell he was struggling to remember his talking points, and when asked about the benefits of a neck-through body bass, all he could do was very briefly talk about upper fret access following the interviewer's lead, which IMO, has never even been a remote issue with EB basses. I am seriously loving that Crimson Stealth finish though.

I wonder if the Sterlings will have the same options. I like their necks better.  Also, maybe it's just me, but the Bongo seemed to have lost some of its toilet-seat roundness in the body and headstock and looked more streamlined. It's not a bass I want, but I can see why so many other folks like it. I like other modern EB basses quite a bit, but they're like Fender, minor variations of a few established themes. My favorite thing they have done in the past 15 years was to reissue their Classic" series with bridge mutes and to finally add a second pickup option. I would love to have either a vintage or new Sabre reissue, and I bet that if you had enough money, you could get them to build a composite neck ("graphite") Cutlass, too.

Also Chris, in regards to modern MM passive basses, I played a few US-made passive SUB's back in the day. They sounded like a cheap active (like Schecter) import with no character, and VERY active-import (Mexi Jazz and P plus) Fender-like. Those big MM 'buckers need a preamp. If you want Music Man tone with a differently distinct but very useable passive option: G&L. It's amazing how much a passive-set G&L 2000 series through a good preamp sounds like an old 70's MM. There are very few Fender-inspired tonal options unavailable on the market right now. After the Coronado and Starcaster bass, I halfway expect the Katana and Performer to make an appearance soon.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »
I'm way late to this party I'm sure, but... how is a two-pickup bass a "stingray" ?

Because that's what they call it?  ;D

The two-pickup Rays and Sterlings, both HH and HS,  have been around for years now. Probably close to 10 years.

Those big MM 'buckers need a preamp.

Yep. They were designed to be used with a preamp.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »

Two pickups = split window.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »

Similar to when the '68 Vette came out.  People insisted it was a Stingray- which it never was to the designers.  Here's my '68.

Starting with the '69 models they said 'Stingray' on the side.  Got to give the consumers what they want.

A StingRay was a single pickup bass, an updated Precision.  If you wanted two pickups you bought a Sabre.   I'm happy with this StingRay, have no desire for a new fangled one.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »
A StingRay was a single pickup bass, an updated Precision.  If you wanted two pickups you bought a Sabre.   

These days it is about choice.  The Sterling has a smaller body and narrower neck than the Stingray, and both basses come in one or two pickup models.  From a consumer point of view they're nice choices to have.

The Sabre's demise was supposedly the Sabre pickups were considered too aggressive for a lot of players, but funnily enough that's exactly what you get with a two pup G&L, and they sell reasonably well.
Cheers
Mark

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »
AFAIK the two pickup models have been successful. I can't see debating whether they are or aren't real Stingrays. The label says they are.

Sterling Ball has obviously decided that a small production company like MM needs to offer choices and new models to stay successful.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
AFAIK the two pickup models have been successful.

Absolutely - the HH Stingray with the 5 way coil switch is a fabulous instrument.  The neck pickup removes any suggestion that a Stingray is a one trick pony, or too "clanky".  I'm currently Stingray-less (but love my Big Al) but if I were to ever buy another Stingray it would be another HH model.

Sterling Ball has obviously decided that a small production company like MM needs to offer choices and new models to stay successful.

Yes, despite his personal critics and unique style, it's hard to argue that he's not a smart businessman
Cheers
Mark