Author Topic: Anybody know how to remove a Musty Smell from a bass case???  (Read 1815 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Anybody know how to remove a Musty Smell from a bass case???
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
I just picked up a Hamer Cruisebass Bass Case from a guy on the Hamer forum and It has a Horrible Musty Stench...Like it was in a flood...Moldy smell...seller NEVER informed me of the smell...I tried Febreze...then Lysol..then I even tried some pet Enzymes.....I even left it out in the sun...Nothing....F'ing sucks.. I spent a lot of money on it. Someone on some other forum mentioned an Ozen machine....that fire restoration people have those...But where the hell am I going to find one of them that will let me use it for my bass case?? My wife coughs every time I have the damn thing in the house...Can't even put my bass in it because it leaves a stench on the bass. Really a bunch of BS. Anybody have any ideas???

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody know how to remove a Musty Smell from a bass case???
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 04:58:37 PM »
Send it back to the seller.  Seriously, if all you've done to it makes no difference it may be a lost cause.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
Throw some tea bags in the case, and also an open container of bicarb soda - the tea bags will soak up any moisture, and the bicarb will soak up the smell
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »
Go to a local janitorial supply store.  They can recommend something you likely will not find in a Home Depot.

If it got wet and dried wrong you might need some enzyme based product....clean the case and let it dry in a well ventilated area.  Maybe have a commercial carpet cleaner guy clean it with his machine. Those machines can mix in an additive to kill smells and then suck most of the moisture back out after they clean it. Those guys also clean car carpeting. I would think a stinky guitar case would be similar to a stinky carpet/car interior.

The only concern might be loosening up the glue that holds the liner in the case.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:05:23 AM by mc2NY »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
Throw some tea bags in the case, and also an open container of bicarb soda - the tea bags will soak up any moisture, and the bicarb will soak up the smell

^^^

This. And don't skimp on either.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Don't know about doing it on a bass case, but what I've done with really awful musty rugs is:  Sprinkle an entire box or two of baking soda over the entire surface, i mean really liberally cover everything with the baking soda, and then leave it alone for a good long while - an entire day if possible. Then dump, scoop, or sweep out the bulk of the baking soda into a garbage bag, let the dust settle, and then vacuum vacuum vacuum to get out the rest of it
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:53:04 AM »
Hate to say it...but it might be better to go buy some news interior material at a fabric store and replace the insides.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:07:55 AM »
My '72 EB-3 has earned the name "Stinky" because it smells musty. It smelled bad when I got it in 1980. It smelled bad when I sold it a year or so later. It smelled bad when I bought it back 15 years after that. It smells bad right this very minute. My wife knows when I've played it because it makes the room smell bad. My guitar repair guy writes "Stinky" on the work orders - not my name, just "Stinky".
Good luck in your odoriferous crusade, Baz - but I think you may be pissing in the wind. ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that's funny!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
Baz.....Just found an ad by Bootsy Collins that says that is his old bass case that he used to throw in the trunk of his Lincoln. Ad says "smells like ass."

Might be worth money. Keep it original. :)

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
I think the varpet cleaner idea might be your best bet. Fabreeze leaves it's own sweet oder that definitly seep into the instrument. Baking soda and ozone machines good, but not 100%, alwyas will leave a bit of that offensive odor underlying.. Most likely that odor has also seeped into the case material itself. That, or send it back for non disclosure. You do mot want to put an instrument in that.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
All depends on what's causing the smell. Maybe nothing will work, but at least you can try some of the suggestions.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »
Thanks for your input. I got a couple of Hooker to pee in it. No just kidding. I left it out in the sun and sprayed some Ozium in it. seems to be working...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Does that musty smell remind a bit of incense? That is pretty common in older cases, some kind of mold (I'm even allergic to it). Leave the case open in a dry, preferably heated place and it will gradually go away, takes about a year or so.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 07:31:59 PM »
YES.... or Dirt.....the guy claims that he had it closed and left in his attic since 1995.......I thyink leaving it out in the sun and spraying some Ozium did the trick.