Author Topic: It had to happen one day ...  (Read 3870 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
It had to happen one day ...
« on: August 21, 2014, 05:30:20 AM »
Among my more than a hundred basses I've never had it before, but now it has happened: On my 2011 Novoselic RD, the fretboard near the saddle has come off. I first wondered about the new extreme "dead spots" on the D and G strings when fretted as D# and G#, I had never noticed them before and the notes died extremely quickly and rang hollow. Since I didn't know how a loose fretboard sounds (now I do, really weird!), it took me a week to actually locate the issue.  :mrgreen: Realisation only dawned when I noticed that exerting extreme pressure while fretting improved the sound somewhat (as then there is more contact between fretboard and neck).

Not a big thing, I could probably repair it with superglue and a syringe needle, but will take it to the luthier for a proper repair. As there was no outside influence much less force - the bass was in its stand for a long time -, I wonder whether the new fretboard materials Gibson resorted to when they had their, uhum, wood import issues might have something to do with it. There is small hairline fissure where fretboard meets neck. To be fair, the bass was very close to the very strong airconditioning in my office, but so are dozens of other Gibbies who have never encountered a similar issue.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: It had to happen one day ...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »
Hmm, not good.
Isn't this something Gibson should fix for you under warranty?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
Definitely a warranty issue. If it were a major expense, then make Gibson do the work, but since it's a relatively easy fix, I'll bet Uwe has more confidence in his luthier.

What kind of fretboard wood was used on these?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:36 AM »
i think you expect too much, bass wise, from anything named novoselic.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »
His playing ain't bad.... or were you commenting on signature instruments?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
What warranty? This bass was bought via Mark from Sweetwater or some other online retailer - whatever warranty there is (if not already expired) sure won't apply to me as a German resident and shipping it back to Mark to have him return it is a hassle not worth it. If I had bought it in Germany, I'd attempt a warranty return just for the experience of it (and report about it here). But in essence it's a minor repair/quick fix.

I'm philosophical about it, a question of statistics. It's not like my "rubberneck" 8-string Ric which has been a source of constantly renewed grief from the first day I had it.  :)

The material on the Novoselic is dark-stained obeche,

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/obeche/

the name itself already raises suspicions ...  :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with it, but I'm not knocking Gibson because of it, they had to go for alternative woods at the time and you only learn from experience.

"i think you expect too much, bass wise, from anything named novoselic"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Nofi, wiser words (albeit post-acquisition) have never been spoken. Don't get me started on Nirvana. The bass is probably their revenge for me being so oblivious to their lasting influence. Darn bar-chord-shovers without the most basic inderstanding of the European rules of harmony. Should have gone to summer school with Wishbone Ash.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:17:02 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »
Sorry, didn't think about the warranty issue since this was bought in the US.

Sure doesn't sound like obeche would be a good fingerboard wood -- soft and lightweight, with large pores -- but if your link's info is accurate, at least it doesn't have gluing problems like some oily exotics. Probably an error in workmanship.

Also look here, especially under Properties/Workability and Uses: "Very soft, weak wood" , "used extensively used where durability and strength are unimportant", etc. Henry must have gotten it cheap b/c it seems to be totally unsuitable as a fingerboard wood.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:50:47 PM »
Lol, very trustworthy/reliable material then! Smells like cheap spirit on the part of Henry J. But the lightness ties in nicely with the signature characteristic - it doesn't indent your head as badly ... K(l)urt(z) Novoselic would know.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
Since it is a 2011 build.....maybe the fingerboard wood was salvaged after that major flooding in Nashville in 2010 ?

Likely not but if Gibson salvaged some of the flooded stock and let it dry out to use later....

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »

I recall thinking that bass was pretty cool, it has lovely paint (Remember it's a Gibson!), liked the shape and the weightiness, I like a bit more clank, but hey.

Did I miss something when it was new, or did this happen since Uwe?   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 01:44:55 AM »

the name itself already raises suspicions ...  :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with it, but I'm not knocking Gibson because of it, they had to go for alternative woods at the time and you only learn from experience.

"i think you expect too much, bass wise, from anything named novoselic"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Nofi, wiser words (albeit post-acquisition) have never been spoken. Don't get me started on Nirvana. The bass is probably their revenge for me being so oblivious to their lasting influence. Darn bar-chord-shovers without the most basic inderstanding of the European rules of harmony. Should have gone to summer school with Wishbone Ash.

It didn't withold him from ending up in this top 10 list...  :P

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/08/the-10-richest-bassists-in-music/

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 04:49:15 AM »
I recall thinking that bass was pretty cool, it has lovely paint (Remember it's a Gibson!), liked the shape and the weightiness, I like a bit more clank, but hey.

Did I miss something when it was new, or did this happen since Uwe?   

Happened since ... it was fine for years. And you would have definitely noticed it, D# and G# fretted on the D and G string 1st fret now make ghoulish, unearthly sounds. Who knows, I might ask my luthier to equip it with one his "secret private stock" Rio rosewoods.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 04:54:18 AM »
It didn't withold him from ending up in this top 10 list...  :P

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/08/the-10-richest-bassists-in-music/

It's obviously all his band ever aspired to be. Very counter-culture.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »
Happened since ... it was fine for years. And you would have definitely noticed it, D# and G# fretted on the D and G string 1st fret now make ghoulish, unearthly sounds. Who knows, I might ask my luthier to equip it with one his "secret private stock" Rio rosewoods.

Good idea. Even if not from his secret stock, replacing the obeche with a decently hard wood ought to be a long term improvement.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:17 PM »
I've inspected the fretboard on mine and no signs of any lifting. Does your fretboard leave your fingers dirty after you play it Uwe? Mine leaves dark traces on my fingers when playing it. Not overly noticeable, but there. When I first got it I thought it was dirty strings but it didn't go away after installing a new set. Not sure if I've even posted a picture of mine after replacing the Jazz pickups on it.

TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT