Author Topic: Mexican Rascal  (Read 15429 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Rascal
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
Right. This is no different than a Precision. You do sometimes see a cracked P-bass pickguard here and there but it's easy enough to avoid. The old Les Paul basses seem more prone to cracking.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »
90 degree connector with cord tucked behind the strap should cure most problems.

The simple solutions are the best!

Hey, I was on eBay and there's some California music store listing the Rascal for $1599.00!!!!  :o  What a hoser!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »
The PG on my Bronco has the same configuration, but there are three screws around the jack.  I can't see exactly how the Rascal PG is set up but it looks ike there's only one screw at the tip of the PG - like a P-bass. Reasonable care with the cable connector (90 degree type) and strap path should deal protect it.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »
On a P you have 2 fixings south of the pots... on your Bronco you have 3 fixings south of the pots... the Rascal has a pot level with 2 fixings, then a fair distance south lies another pot, the socket, and a single fixing...

If there is enough timber beneath it might benefit another pair of fixings adjacent the second pot...?

How thick is the plate compared to a P or a Bronco...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »
The 90 will help but once the guard is off you could cut the sides off of a fender washer (no pun intended) and attach it under the guard.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2014, 05:18:45 PM »
On a P you have 2 fixings south of the pots... on your Bronco you have 3 fixings south of the pots... the Rascal has a pot level with 2 fixings, then a fair distance south lies another pot, the socket, and a single fixing...

If there is enough timber beneath it might benefit another pair of fixings adjacent the second pot...?

How thick is the plate compared to a P or a Bronco...?
Didn't see this before posting the washer.
I would go this route if there is any meat to be had.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
It is a really nice looker, shape and colour...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2014, 04:17:23 AM »
Played the Rascal at practice last night and it sounded great.  The 5 way is a really nice touch.  It sounds like a much more expensive bass to my ear.  Nothing cheapo about its tone or output.  As before, very easy to play and my band mates really like the look and sound of it.  Being the short scale addict that I am, I'll be gigging with it for sure.  Finally, a keeper!  I've turned over a lot of Fenders that didn't play or sound as I expected, but I really am pleased this bass.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »
I had a LP Triumph back in the 80s, the problem was the control plate material was very thin.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2014, 08:08:03 AM »
Played the Rascal at practice last night and it sounded great.  The 5 way is a really nice touch.  It sounds like a much more expensive bass to my ear.  Nothing cheapo about its tone or output.  As before, very easy to play and my band mates really like the look and sound of it.  Being the short scale addict that I am, I'll be gigging with it for sure.  Finally, a keeper!  I've turned over a lot of Fenders that didn't play or sound as I expected, but I really am pleased this bass.

You, sir, are a horrendously bad influence in terms of GAS. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
Glad it's working out! Did you try the "all three" & "neck & bridge" positions? Those were my favorites, though I didn't get to hear them in a band setting.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »
You, sir, are a horrendously bad influence in terms of GAS.

It's hard not to drag folks down in the gutter.  You know how misery loves company!   :P

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »

Did you try it with the master volume pulled up too?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2014, 05:49:55 AM »
Did you try it with the master volume pulled up too?

Yep.  It gives you two options.  Bridge + neck or all three.  I kinda liked the bridge and neck, but found that I really liked the  middle and neck pups the best as I'm a thumping bass guy!  I am also pretty happy with the stock strings.  I've been leaving stock strings on more recently and finding they aren't all that bad to play.  While I used to be a flats only kinda player, I'm finding the brightness of rounds pleasing.  And, not all that hard on my fingers which are pretty tough these days.

From my perspective, this bass is a great addition to the Fender line.  Great electronics, a short scale, nice fit and finish, NOT a p or j variation, good weight without being too heavy or neck heavy, nice styling, good pricing.  I guess you could say I think it's a winner and keeper.