Author Topic: Mexican Rascal  (Read 15491 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Rascal
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
I had special ordered it from Music Store Live in Burlington VT (I'm an existing customer). They hadn't heard of it before I asked about it. They do sell below the allowable advertised price, but I suppose HOG does that for you too.

Had to sell a seldom-played guitar to be able to buy this, but I figure it will be worth it.

Yeah, I have a really good relationship with the HOG.  They treat regulars really well.  Let us know what you think when you get it!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
The audience is standing by.......... :bored:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »
The audience is standing by.......... :bored:

We short scale folks have to stick together!  There are some who just don't appreciate the little thumpers.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
I like! Wasn't able to spend a long time with it due to personal issues, so I haven't explored all the nuances of the controls, but it sounds good at every position. I especially like the pick attack of these pickups.

It's a full size body despite the short scale. Good balance and definitely doesn't look like a toy. Very comfy neck profile. I like where my right hand falls. Haven't had a shortie since I sold my Coronado about 8-9 years ago. This is a much better sounding bass (no surprise there) and I'm also really impressed by the fit and finish.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 05:52:33 AM »
Good news!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »
I chatted with Kurt at the HOG and he said he ordered two Rascals and is still waiting.  They probably are one of the biggest brick and mortar single location Fender dealers in the US and they can't get them!  He did say a lot of folks ordered them early at the summer NAMM show.  So, it's just a matter of time till one shows up in Rochester.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Very encouraging reports!

I admit I think of this as more than a "little thumper".....

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
I chatted with Kurt at the HOG and he said he ordered two Rascals and is still waiting.  They probably are one of the biggest brick and mortar single location Fender dealers in the US and they can't get them!  He did say a lot of folks ordered them early at the summer NAMM show.  So, it's just a matter of time till one shows up in Rochester.

I don't understand what HOG's problem is. Direct quote from my sales rep's email: "Just heard back from my Fender rep. They are locked and loaded with those Classic Player Rascal basses and can ship one out to me right away." And they did. Remember, this dealer didn't have any on order, they weren't even aware of it until I asked. Yet it was shipped from Fender to them and then to me, all in two weeks time.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
Yeah, it's weird.  They usually get stuff for me practically overnight.  Kurt did say he was experiencing rep issues.  I do suspect a lot has to do with who the rep is, how responsive they are and some of them change every year.  I don't think it's a fun or glamorous job!  I'm patiently waiting!  Sort of.......... :-\

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2014, 07:15:22 AM »
Very encouraging reports!

I admit I think of this as more than a "little thumper".....

"Little" only in the sense it's shorter than some basses!!!!!  Mine is still my go to bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
Mine, too.  It just seems to do everything the others do, but in short, comfortable scale while looking faaaaaabulous.

It has my 1963 P-bass sitting gathering dust.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2014, 07:31:24 AM »
That Fender is nice looking!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 12:54:40 PM »
So I showed pics of this Rascal (it's fun saying that) to some friends and immediately it got positive feedback in the looks department by nearly everyone.

I would pay $799 for it even if it's made in Mexico, but I wouldn't pay that for a MIM P-bass. Those are just too common, it's too easy to find a nice used one for a lot less than that, and if you are quick enough you can get used American made ones for that.

I think and hope this bass does well in the market.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 01:43:42 PM »
So I showed pics of this Rascal (it's fun saying that) to some friends and immediately it got positive feedback in the looks department by nearly everyone.

I would pay $799 for it even if it's made in Mexico, but I wouldn't pay that for a MIM P-bass. Those are just too common, it's too easy to find a nice used one for a lot less than that, and if you are quick enough you can get used American made ones for that.

I think it will do well.  It's finally an original take off on the jag shape, short scale and custom pups and bridge.  And, it's good looking too.  Some of those Pawn Shop things were atrocious!!!   :o

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »

The Classic Player line is much nicer than the MIM Standard line. Everything is made to one price point or another, and the Classic Player line is made to a higher standard. For example, the the US-made Seymour Duncan lipstick pickups are $70 each street price, while the MIM Standard J pickups go for about $21 each. The Classic Player Triple Tele has three Custom Shop Nocaster pickups, etc. Nothing wrong with the Standards, just pointing out that not all Mexican Fenders are created equal.

And BTW, if you're paying advertised price, you're paying too much. There are dealers who sell below that.