Author Topic: '66-'68 EB3 on the bay  (Read 2466 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
'66-'68 EB3 on the bay
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:09 AM »
 I am more than interested in this bass sticker and all. If I can swoop in for 1k I'd love to get it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181386836252?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: '66-'68 EB3 on the bay
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:16 AM »
Could be a decent player. You'll have to do something about the G string bridge saddle.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »
For 1K, sure, but it probably will get bids.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
I'd be happy to have one like that for a thousand, despite the wear.  It's worth it to me. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
If you do, what's the plan ... ?

(good luck - keepin' 'em crossed)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:28:01 PM »
If you do, what's the plan ... ?

(good luck - keepin' 'em crossed)

Like Dave said, there will probably be bids on it.  Only time will tell, of course.  I wouldn't even mind having an Epi Elitist EB-3.  But you don't see them much anymore, and when you do they're overpriced, IMO.  Plus, for some reason they seem to be more common in Europe than America, or maybe that was just a coincidence. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
I am more than interested in this bass sticker and all. If I can swoop in for 1k I'd love to get it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181386836252?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dunno, I'd find the continuous "beep-beep" annyoing after a while. :mrgreen: As a child, I disliked the Roadrunner for the cruel jokes it would play on Wile E. Coyote, always thinking "Why can't the poor hungry coyote have its lunch?". I like predators.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »
I always loved the Roadrunner cartoons, predictable as they are. That long fall off the cliff and the "plffft" when While E. hit the ground never failed to bring a laugh. I have fond memories of watching the Roadrunner with my Dad. Another favorite scenario is the radio controlled plane with the stick of dynamite strapped to it, my wife's electric tooth brush sounds just like it, cracks me up every morning. I have a full set of Loonie tunes glass tumbles in the cupboard  ;D One day to go still no bids. This thing may tank, price is a bit high considering condition and no case.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:11:45 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
After looking at those pics a second time very carefully, I'd agree that the condition is a little questionable.  The first time I looked, I didn't notice a few things. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »
Like Dave said, there will probably be bids on it.  Only time will tell, of course.  I wouldn't even mind having an Epi Elitist EB-3.  But you don't see them much anymore, and when you do they're overpriced, IMO.  Plus, for some reason they seem to be more common in Europe than America, or maybe that was just a coincidence.

I think the price difference between the Elitist EB-3 and the US-made SG bass was a lot greater in Europe than in the US.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »
I think the price difference between the Elitist EB-3 and the US-made SG bass was a lot greater in Europe than in the US.

It isn't something I investigated a great deal.  The bottom line to me is the way it turned out it made more sense to go ahead and buy a Gibson SG than a used Epi Elitist EB-3 at a fairly high price.  Supposedly, the reason Epiphone quit making them is that it made no sense for them to be competing with the new Gibson SGs.  As for the U.S. and Europe, I may have been looking in the wrong places, but it was hard for me to even find Epi Elitist EB-3s in the U.S.  But several times when I talked to people I knew in Europe, they seemed to find them fairly easily. 

--Blaise Pascal

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
Could be a decent player. You'll have to do something about the G string bridge saddle.

make a saddle with some epoxy, some silver solder on a screw and access to a small lathe and the adjuster screw can be made. if I was the Dr. I would probably use it as an excuse to buy some machine thread taps, lol.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »
Just use nylon. It's pretty easy to cut and work to size.
I've been doing it for the semi acoustic basses from my Czech friends and it works great.