Author Topic: AC/DC Finished?  (Read 7693 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: AC/DC Finished?
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »
Bagpipes are hellishly difficult to play, I once tried for half an hour and failed miserably, couldn't get one note out of the dead animal hide.

Rather funny that the Scotts and the Irish, celebrated for their drinking skills, would be the main keepers of such a Godawful "musical" instrument.  Is there actually a way to tell the difference between a good bagpipe player and a bad one? 

I hope AC/DC makes it thru the health issues. They've always seemed a like able bunch. I remember my surprise years back when I saw they were in the top all-time selling rock acts.

Maybe the band can muster a final live send off by playing the next Super Bowl?  THAT would be a lot more fun than many of the other recent acts chosen for that show.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »
Maybe the band can muster a final live send off by playing the next Super Bowl?  THAT would be a lot more fun than many of the other recent acts chosen for that show.

I always worry that things like that could easily turn into things like this:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 07:55:44 AM »
And Plant has stuck to his guns about it all these years/decades - I find that very impressive. His refusal to return for anything other than special events has kept the Zeppelin aura intact.

And this is why he is still a golden god to me.  8)

Dave, you are a walking talking minority opinion!!!

Uwe, you picked the words right out of my brain!

But, to each his own. I've never been an AC/DC fan, or owned any of their records, but I still find this sad. Best wishes to Malcolm and his family.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »
"Frick.  I was mixin up me Youngs this whole time like a fricken dink.    How embarrassing.  Way to play the long game  Uwe."

(Enter Uwe, carefully strutting and taking his time to relish every moment, then in his most gracious, mock-jovial and glib tone ...) Oh, I wondered about that only once ("Is dear Jake confused again?"), but then discarded the thought. On the other hand weren't you the sweetheart who thought the lead singer of the Sex Pistols was Dave Vanian, dearest?  :mrgreen:

Actually, if Angus position was debatable in AC/DC, I'd be with you, can't see them going on without him on stage. Malcolm - though the key songwriter, band leader and nothing gets done within the AC/DC organisation against his say - is more a Keith Richards type figure with AC/DC, the Stones without Keith Richard could still fill stadiums (though it would be a severe loss to the image), but not without Mick Jagger. Having Malcolm's position in mind, I made the comment that he could be a Brian Wilson (a man who used to play with the Beach Boys, Jake, they were early proto-punk) type figure, stay at home, write songs, play in the studio and keep the AC/DC heart beating.

Also puts your comment about the 1988 vid into perspective, you insulted Angus right there and you know it.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"it does seem like he's not playing it right ... [checking album version] yep - timing, dynamics and feel is all wrong or at least different; he's only playing one note (duotone) for the first few bars and then it sounds like a few flubs in there when he tries to bring the rest in (or at least sloppy playing - no matter how hot/sweaty/tired Malcom was he was never that sloppy -"

The wrath of the AC/DC community will be on you (I'd change addresses while you still can!) and you will realize how hell ain't a bad place to be.  :mrgreen: A written apology to Stevie Young seems to be in order too, young man!!! Because he did not move like Malcolm Young in that vid, Malcolm moves like a hobbit/munchkin, if at all!!!  ;D

I'm not over-awed by Angus' lead playing (but he does what he does well), it sure hasn't developed much over the decades. He's a harsh player (like Rory Gallagher or Johnny Winter), which is not a bad thing, and he uses no effects (like the ones named before and like incidentally Ritchie Blackmore too), which is commendable, but I prefer how someone like Rory Gallagher sometimes took off with the pentatonic blues stuff into another realm.

(Look Dave, absolutely no Led Zeppelin content!)

Live Angus is a pro, but he's not obsessed with accuracy, certainly not in his solos, how could he be when he's putting on an athletic show, it's his brother Malcolm's playing I would attribute with the term "rock-solid".

Rumor had it that on at least the early AC/DC albums Malcolm did all the rhythm parts for groove reasons and his perfection at what he does. That wouldn't surprise me and it is not wholly unusual in bands with a dominant rhythm player. Similar things have been said about the Scorpions (Rudolf Schenker), Kiss (Paul Stanley) and Metallica (Hetfield).

But thank's for 'fessing up, Jake. Now if you'd also correct that historic inaccuracy about Germany having attacked Poland in 1939 when we all know that it was a classic defense measure after largely unprovoked border incidents ...  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:41:49 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »
but then discarded the thought. On the other hand weren't you the sweetheart who thought the lead singer of the Sex Pistols was Dave Vanian, dearest?  :mrgreen:

Goodness no!  I probably am more into The Damned than the Pistols these days, though, and  I am utterly horrible with names generally.

I know you tease but damn that one cut to the quick.  :-[

... which also leaves the question - how wasted was Angus in that vid you posted?  I have never heard him play that badly.  I knew they partied harder back in the day but all the older live stuff I've watched was not that bad.  He also looked  younger than he does in Let There be Rock (longer hair + camera distance/quality smoothes the lines).  ... though back then, he hadn't come up with his doubletime lead part schtick yet.

He's not as sloppy at Rio in 1985, but now that I'm really paying attention, much sloppier than recently (Perth 2010 was when I caught them - hometown [almost - Fremantle, where Scott grew up, is the next town over]  so there was no way were were getting in - we sat in the park outside along with, like 200, other folks - bloody loud and clear). 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:32:34 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
Make no mistake, what Angus did and continues to do is physically exhausting, the three times I've seen him, he never looked healthy, his skin tends to be especially shot, even when he was still an adolescent in 1976, sweat pimples everywhere. He's a hardy type, but he never looked like he was properly taking care of himself. The unfortunate Bon Scott, otoh, was always brimming with health at the two gigs I saw him, but look who survived. Both Young brothers were hard drinkers, but maybe all that exercise on stage did Angus some good as compared to his elder brother.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »
Both Young brothers were hard drinkers, but maybe all that exercise on stage did Angus some good as compared to his elder brother.

Both smokers, too, IIRC...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
Yeah, booze is the eternal tragedy of the band.

And so we come full circle.  I have always enjoyed Malcoms rythmn work and respected him, knowing he was the songwriter but was satisfied to not take the spotlight and never cave in to  wankery.  Not that it's technically complex to play his parts, but I know few guitarists who would  do it well just because they'd be wanting to do more (too much) the whole time.  He leaves space  and breathing room in the song.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »
Make no mistake, what Angus did and continues to do is physically exhausting, the three times I've seen him, he never looked healthy, his skin tends to be especially shot, even when he was still an adolescent in 1976, sweat pimples everywhere. He's a hardy type, but he never looked like he was properly taking care of himself. The unfortunate Bon Scott, otoh, was always brimming with health at the two gigs I saw him, but look who survived. Both Young brothers were hard drinkers, but maybe all that exercise on stage did Angus some good as compared to his elder brother.

When I saw them in '79(?), the venue was a ball park in Davenport, IA (minor league, I assume).  Angus came running off the side of the stage at one point, eyes rolled back in his head like a madman, and proceeded to run around the entire stadium as he soloed, and was then lifted by forklift back to the stage at the other side.  My chat with Bon after their set, he was very relaxed and didn't appear under the influence of much other than the sun.  UFO, on the other hand, spent way too much time in the AC/DC trailer, and came pouring out to start their set late.  They also fell up the stairs leading to the stage.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 12:13:18 AM »
Both Young brothers were hard drinkers, but maybe all that exercise on stage did Angus some good as compared to his elder brother.

Since when did angus drink? Is´t that why he can still run around, him being careful with alcohol?

This is very sad, hope he gets well. He is a brilliant guitar player, and there is no doubt  he is (or at least was) the musical driving force in the band.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »
Deed sumwon menshun the pipes...?

Something modern...

Something live...

The National Anthem...

It's in your soul, or it's just a noise...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »
I've always liked bagpipes, they have a solemn quality. I don't mind the "side drone" or the quavering nature of the individual notes at all.

Isn't that marathon military bagpiping (which always has the Queen take headache pills before) currently going on in Edinburgh? 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
Och, yer a wee bit early, laddie... ;)

1st to 23rd August

Rather funny that the Scotts and the Irish, celebrated for their drinking skills, would be the main keepers of such a Godawful "musical" instrument.

Aye young Jon McTwony, but think o' it like the 11 o'clork Princess, and it'll aw turn oot fine agin... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 02:17:08 PM »
Let the bagpipes bring us back to AC/DC.
No it's not that clip with Bon....

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2014, 07:59:45 AM »
bagpipes seem to work well at funerals. really! they add that melancholy, lonely vibe that is perfect for the occasion.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead