Author Topic: Psychedelic and prog rock  (Read 7167 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Psychedelic and prog rock
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 12:54:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsp-C6mQGo&list=FLqRZ268Ck3FxrpJwaPKMIoA&index=3

Brilliant! I love Canterbury prog as they call it. Hatfield & The North, National Health, Robert Wyatt, Kevin Ayers, Caravan, Soft Machine etc. Camel were at their best too when they had Richard Sinclair on bass and vocals. Andy Latimer thought about calling the band Caramel in 1978/79 when they 3 ex- Caravan alumni in the ranks.:) (Jan Schelhaas and cousins Richard and Dave Sinclair).

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
Chicago's own Trillion.  I went to high school with the drummer, and keyboardist Pat Leonard was the musical director for Madonna when she hit.

Pat Leonard also worked with the late great and much missed mega talent Kevin Gilbert in Toy Matinee. Kevin's posthumously released rock opera "The Shaming Of The True" is one of my favourite albums.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 01:03:43 AM »
I saw Gentle Giant a couple of times in the 70s and they were an amazing live band. They were so tight and all multi instrumentalists. Really high quality footage here from The Missing Piece tour.

Big fan here. The live footage is sometimes a bit hard to watch because of the stage antics (and sometimes shouty vocals) of Derek Shulman but my god how tight and funky John Weathers and Ray Shulman are here! The whole show is availble on DVD "GG at the GG" IIRC.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 04:17:37 AM »
Great thread! Love that GG show, and there´s an even better one (from 1974) on youtube.
Maybe not that sharp and tight, but less ´shouting´and really full of energy...

And seeing Hawk recently with their mid 70´s era setlist, it is really mostly music from that period that
lights my fire these days..

Maybe we should throw in some fusion as well, this could be the utopia of outpost threads!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:01 AM »
~ "When danger arises, up from inner space come the MIGHTY GROUNDHOGS" ~

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 07:13:42 AM »
Some additions

Lucky Bishops

Temples

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 07:17:22 AM »
My friend's band Schnauser

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 08:40:53 AM »
check out ed king in the alarm clock. far left guitarist. i like this much better than his next band, lynyrd skynyrd. :P
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
Big fan here. The live footage is sometimes a bit hard to watch because of the stage antics (and sometimes shouty vocals) of Derek Shulman but my god how tight and funky John Weathers and Ray Shulman are here! The whole show is availble on DVD "GG at the GG" IIRC.

Thanks. The whole show is on youtube in one video too. Great video and audio quality. I really think they were at their best during this time and tour. Watching it brought back a lot of great memories. I used an online youtube video to mp3 converter to download the audio from the whole show.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 12:30:11 AM »
Thanks. The whole show is on youtube in one video too. Great video and audio quality. I really think they were at their best during this time and tour. Watching it brought back a lot of great memories. I used an online youtube video to mp3 converter to download the audio from the whole show.

The audio was released on cd twice, first as "BBC Live In Concert" which omitted the track "Funny Ways" and then as part of "Out Of The Fire" double which had the whole concert.

"Playing The Fool" is probably the best GG album if you could have only one. Thankfully we can have them all.:) "Giant For A Day" doesn't get much playtime 'though.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
Here's another I like a lot. Ford Theater's Trilogy For The Masses".

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
Chrysalis was interesting. I heard about them because my dad did some string arrangements on their one and only album.
The story goes that the promotional budget was blown on gambling by their shady manager and that was the end of their recording career.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
Well, as long as we've got Lemmy and Ed's old psychedelic bands up here we might as well add one from the Nuge.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:19:30 PM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »

May as well colour it up a bit...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...