Author Topic: Saw Paul Rodgers  (Read 2045 times)

fur85

• View Profile
Saw Paul Rodgers
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »
My wife and I lucked into seeing Paul Rodgers and the Hi Rhythm Section at a CD release party this past weekend in Studio A at the Stax studio/museum in Memphis. Awesome show. I had to pinch myself. Paul was very gracious and hung out after the show for a long time signing autographs and talking with fans. The new CD "The Royal Sessions" was recorded with many of the original Hi Records studio musicians at Royal Studios where Al Green etc. recorded. The CD is great if you like this kind of music and he's donating all profits from the CD to support music education in Memphis. Paul looked really good and his voice sounds a lot like it did 40 years ago.

After the show I approached Leroy Hodges Jr. (Hi Rhythm bassist) to thank him and say how great he sounded. He seems like a humble man. He sat behind the backup singers and it was hard to see him during the show. He played a Peavey Foundation and it really did sound fantastic. Reminded me that it's the player, not the bass.

Also went on the Gibson factory tour while in Memphis. I did not see a single bass in the entire factory. But the tour is worth the time if you happen to be in Memphis.

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Saw Paul Rodgers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
Just got my copy of the album and have tix to see him here in NJ at the end of April. Hope he's doing mainly material from those sessions. I've seen him do the rock stuff enough times - this would be a treat.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:19:10 AM »
Haven't seen him live since the seventies but consider him to have one of the best blues/rock voices around... not a screamer, so his range has never been affected by age, unlike some, imho...

There was a pub in Kent near where he lived and he used to drop demo-tapes into the owner, who he was friendly with, who made similar comments about his attitude...

You lucky man...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:28:07 AM »
THANKS!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:41 AM »
Too cool, just ordered the CD, danke! Free and Bad Co didn't invent rock music new and that Queen stint was an ill match (in contrast, I thought The Firm quite good), but one thing you can say for the man is that he sings three words and you do know it's him.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:20:53 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
(in contrast, I thought The Firm quite good)

Crap... forgot all about them... saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon... very ordinary live, though...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
Crap... forgot all about them... saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon... very ordinary live, though...

When I saw them in Milwaukee, they were pretty bad overall.  Rodgers was a little detached, and Page seemed to be off in 714-Land.  Franklin and Slade pretty much carried the band and really impressed me.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »
There's a pickup band that I believe still operates that Chris Slade and Boz Burrell used to play with called Chuck Farley... still have the vinyl from the time, signed by the chaps... Geoff Whithorn was in the lineup I saw... bar-band stuff... sheer brilliance...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »

If you forgot about them, you definitely won't remember this short-lived project with Kenney Jones...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
Another thing about Paul is, he shows us there are plenty of good years left after your 40's even if you have to make up for lost ground.

It would be lovely if he ever decided to reconcile with his old writing partner Andy and maybe work on some new songs together. Sadly, I'm afraid that's about as likely as seeing the original Kiss line up play the R&R hof.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »
... you definitely won't remember this short-lived project ...

Must have blinked that day... ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:07 AM »
Judging from a recent interview I read of Andy Fraser, he and Rodgers live on planets so far removed from each other the most innocent question or remark sets either of them off. When Rodgers casually asked Fraser on the phone (when a Free reunion was slated for the London Olymics closing ceremony, of course nothing came of it) whether he still knew how a certain song went, Fraser was aggrieved and snapped: "I wrote it!", taking it automatically as another Rodgers slight (who had probably forgotten or didn't care anymore who wrote the song). The members of Free would probably need a Metallica type Some Kind of Monster joint psychotherapy to get together again even for a one-off gig.

PS: Like the new CD a lot. Lovely backing band.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:48:54 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
Therapy indeed. Rodgers has been lauded heavily over the past 20 years or so, elevating him (perhaps rightfully) to hero status in the minds of many.  Some former bandmates, OTOH, have been minimized as a result. Fraser has had more than enough to keep him busy in that same timespan, facing challenges most of us can't even fathom. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a fair amount of edginess there...
They did manage to make it to the stage together here, though:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
I'd imagine Koss is going to be a stumbling point in the negotiating...

No new material... just continuing decomposing...  :vader:

(ps... not having seen Free or BSC is a BIG regret for me...bigger than missing GFR, and that, to me, is saying something...)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:10:57 AM »
i turned down free tickets to see hendrix. cry me a river. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead