Author Topic: Ric Bass Necks ??  (Read 4820 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Ric Bass Necks ??
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:09 AM »
From the 1975 servicing manual:

"To straighten the neck, remove the nameplate on the head of the instrument. Then, with the left hand holding the neck on the fret side of the nut (NEVER hold the head of the guitar) and the right hand holding the other end of the neck, between the 15th and 21st frets, straighten out the neck by carefully bending across the knee. A second person holding the Rickenbacker nut driver can then adjust the reinforcing rods as required. It is important that the neck is only bent and adjusted in this fashion a little at a time (never bend more than 16th at a time). If necessary repeat this procedure until the neck is straight."

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:20:20 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 09:30:25 AM »
I agree. That and the bass-cut capacitor on the treble pickup. Too bad there were no online bass forums back then.

Right! Forgot about "the cap". My oldest is an '89, so no caps here.  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »
From the 1975 servicing manual:

"To straighten the neck, remove the nameplate on the head of the instrument. Then, with the left hand holding the neck on the fret side of the nut (NEVER hold the head of the guitar) and the right hand holding the other end of the neck, between the 15th and 21st frets, straighten out the neck by carefully bending across the knee. A second person holding the Rickenbacker nut driver can then adjust the reinforcing rods as required. It is important that the neck is only bent and adjusted in this fashion a little at a time (never bend more than 16th at a time). If necessary repeat this procedure until the neck is straight."

You have to wonder how many people (including guitar repairmen) ignored this and damaged or ruined the neck. I do remember hearing reports of fretboards being popped off from the rods just being cranked.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »
The whole process sounds more complex and touch and go in description than it actually is, I've set the necks on both my 4001 and the 4005 no sweat and at first attempt (following Ilan's instructions in another, older thread, danke!). The good thing is that there is not much movement on those old Ric necks once you have set them up, unlikely that you would have to do it again unless under extreme conditions.

Opposed to that, my 4003S/8 with the new truss rod system has given me huge and repeated issues. I dread setting that up.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...