Author Topic: Old Man's Lament  (Read 3438 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Old Man's Lament
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »
Our band setup is more basic, with no IEMs...I personally had a hearing aid company fit me with custom-molded (Crimson & Grey) earplugs with 9dB filters.  We don't play at very loud levels, and the 9bD cuts the volume but helps me hear the mix better.  I found that 25 or even 15dB filters made it hard for me to hear how I sounded.  But that's certainly dependent on the volume level.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
When I played in a much louder band with no monitors I used one of those Rolls Personal Monitors. Ran my mike though it so I could hear myself sing. A huge help. (One one model you can also run your guitar though it as well but I didn't.) I usually used only one earbud, leaving the other open to hear the rest of the band, with or without an earplug. Not perfect, but it's a lot cheaper than an in-ear system. 

Current band has a nice PA. In theory I shd be getting bass along with vox through a monitor feed, but often as not there's just no time to get everyone's mix set up well. I guess if you had one of those fancy Presonus boards you could preset it all?

Anyway, back to my OP, more and more often your amp is nothing more than a barely audible stage monitor. Even though it all makes sense, I do miss the volume behnd me sometimes. Thankfully, we get a few outdoor gigs. 

PS - I have to admire PBG's caution in the bedroom. Learning from experience...   ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »

PS - I have to admire PBG's caution in the bedroom. Learning from experience...   ;)

You guys are my heroes!   :o  ;)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »
Ha, good one Al!  PBG is right, most lead guitarists have genitalia minimus complexes!   :-\
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 05:32:36 AM »
Thanks for the tips on the ear thing guys ;D. Very much appreciated.
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 06:41:32 AM »
Thanks for the tips on the ear thing guys ;D. Very much appreciated.
Rick

Good luck with it.  Tinnitus can be a bugger to manage.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!