Author Topic: DNA cabs?  (Read 1084 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
DNA cabs?
« on: September 09, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »
Anybody had their hands on one?  They're done by the guy who started Eden.
Rather pricey. Supposed to have very deep low freq response, which I like.

I noticed them because Watt was playing through a pair of 210s last time I saw him.
I can't say I was wowed by the tone, but I'm usually not a fan of Watt's live tone so that's nothing new.

There is a website, but it is rather crashy.
http://dnaamps.com
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: DNA cabs?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:02:15 PM »
I haven't heard them, but if it's anything like his history with Eden, I would take the specs with a very large grain of salt. That's not to say there's anything wrong with them, just make sure you test them in person and let your ears decide.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »
I think the XLT cabs were more hyped by reputation than by Eden. They have an absolute TON of low mids, which most folks mistake for actual low end. They were extremely fashionable for about a decade and when that began to wane, Eden themselves put out the XST series to have cabinets that performed in the low end as well. David Nordshow is a REALLY nice guy and honest too. I spoke with him back in the day. I expect he only left Eden because US Music's buyout of Eden led to too many compromises on product. I wouldn't hesitate to gamble on his new cabs.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »
Yeah I used to have some Eden gear.  It was really solid, although I sold the 210XLT because I couldn't stand the bump at the port frequency and the dropoff below that... low G was loud as hell, low E was comparatively anemic.  It was enough of a difference that it bothered me.

The heads I had (WT500 and later downsized to a WT300) were really nice, though I eventually decided too clean for my taste.

I once called Eden's support number to ask how to best clean the pots, because they were hard to get at and I had a scratchy one. David answered and walked me through it himself. That was cool.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »
DNA means David Nordschow Amplification and yes, he is the 'David' in 'David Eden'. A lot of people think David Eden is a person, which is not. I think DNA was introduced at NAMM '11 or '12. We used some on a booth I was working on and I met David. Nice guy. The amps will be available soon. In Holland Eden went to the distributor of Marshall (Marshall owns Eden) and he former Eden distributor now does DNA. I met some first players and they're very happy. I only think the DNA logo looks very cheap. Okay, not important for the sound, but still something has to look expensive too...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
His original (Eden) factory was in Montrose, MN, about 35 mi. from downtown Minneapolis. Wonder where these are made.

The Edens were not my cup of tea, but I wish him well. Tough time to go into the expensive bass gear business.