Author Topic: Am I crazy for wanting this?  (Read 2697 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Am I crazy for wanting this?
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-GIBSON-RD-STANDARD-BASS-BODY-NECK-REPAIR-PROJECT-AS-IS-CRACKED-HEADSTOCK/290968075209?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1019560242959326467%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290968075209%26

Am I crazy to want to buy this to restore it? The guy that works on my projects figured around $250 for the repair/paint. If I can get the other parts at a reasonable price, is it worth buying this? I wouldn't be willing to go much past the opening bid but I'm open to buying it if it stays low. Thoughts?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Am I crazy for wanting this?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:35:07 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-GIBSON-RD-STANDARD-BASS-BODY-NECK-REPAIR-PROJECT-AS-IS-CRACKED-HEADSTOCK/290968075209?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1019560242959326467%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D290968075209%26

Am I crazy to want to buy this to restore it? The guy that works on my projects figured around $250 for the repair/paint. If I can get the other parts at a reasonable price, is it worth buying this? I wouldn't be willing to go much past the opening bid but I'm open to buying it if it stays low. Thoughts?

Not crazy, but far from completly normal :)

If your tech can do this for $250 I'd say there is nothing - cost wise- that should stop you, if an RD is something you really want.
It's always good, I'd even say healthy, to roll up your sleeves and start working on a project that looks bad or difficult.
RD pickups and parts seem to pop up now and then, don't see any trouble ending up with a nice, complete RD.
But buying parts always pushes the $total more than expected, it seems..

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 05:30:37 AM »
I liked these when they were new...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:48:57 AM »
There was a dude selling NOS loaded RD standard pickguards on ebay (think the's still got a few - not exactly flying like hotcakes), but if not I have one that I'm not using.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
Not crazy, it's a noble thing to rescue instruments from the bin.  I'm currently restoring my second (a Ripper that had been gutted, badly defretted and painted a nasty matt red).  Never had to deal with a neck break before though.  Good luck!
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
That looks like a worthy project. The original scarf joint makes me wonder if (worse comes to worse) you could just have a whole new headstock made. I don't know how easy it would be to match the original stamps, but other than that you'd end up with a nice RD. I'd love to have a black RD standard.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »
There was a dude selling NOS loaded RD standard pickguards on ebay (think the's still got a few - not exactly flying like hotcakes), but if not I have one that I'm not using.

If I get it, I am definately interested in the guard. Thanks!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
That looks like a worthy project. The original scarf joint makes me wonder if (worse comes to worse) you could just have a whole new headstock made. I don't know how easy it would be to match the original stamps, but other than that you'd end up with a nice RD. I'd love to have a black RD standard.

What George said.  I look at what's left of of repairable "meat" at the break and notice that the scarf joint survived intact - I would be tempted to steam the old scarf joint and make and just make a new head stock.

Does the $250 your tech quoted you include a fret leveling?  Looks like it could use one.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »
I would just make sure you don't end up spending more than just buying a working/complete specimen.  A black standard (albeit with some finish wear, and modded with a Supertone) just went for 1100 shipped.  Seems they are running in the 1100-1300 range.  This project at minimum would probably end up in the $800s, given what you'd have to pay for the body, labor, hardware, pickups, electronics, pg etc...  Doesn't leave much of a margin for bidding on that carcass.

It'd still be a cool project, though, and allow for some personalization... so good luck if you go for it!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
There is some value in knowing you saved one from the scrap heap though. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
I may be going nuts here but RD's don't have a scarf joint at the neck - three piece neck and there's a volute at the point where the break is...

Scott and Gonzo have certainly had bass tragedies and successful repairs...

There is a complete RD Artist, at considerably more cost, but a "complete" Ripper body and neck is sitting at $400 at present...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
Well I'm out of the bidding. It's already over $400 now and that is waaaay more than I would have spent. The last ebony Standard ended at about $1400 shipped, but it was in good condition. I am gassing for an ebony RD baaaad right now!!

There is a tobacco burst RD Artist on TB right now for $1600 shipped, which isn't bad except my wife won't allow that kind of spending. Some of the pricing on these listed on Ebay are quite optimistic in my opinion.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
The only way I get round that issue at present is [gasp] selling stuff [/gasp] ...  ;D

The last item was that 1970 Marshall that needed repairs and I got the Jazz, the fretless neck, the MAG300, and the Demetriou that lurks within the shed... at least some of it got some good use, and the owner of the Marshall had the faulty parts in the Marshall swopped out in the same week and the beastie was fine so joy, peace and felicitation's all round...

Oh yeah, and the rattle cans for both the DM and the RD... er... that I'm eventually planning to get operational...  :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
Yeah, that price is too high to bother now. ... also, I didn't look at the detailed pics before, but that break isn't worth fixing IMHO.  Right at the truss rod route; there'll be very little surface area for the glue to hold the thing together; which is why it broke a 2nd time (as per the seller).  I think what people are calling the scarf joint is actually the 1st break.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:51:49 PM by Granny Gremlin »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
Granny and Squirrel Man are right - on closer inspection it's not a scarf joint.  But, that's what it going to take to resurrect it and that will cost you.  It's at $434 now with three plus hours to go which is just stupid money.