Author Topic: KISS buys football team  (Read 4249 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: KISS buys football team
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
I was a huge fan from Alive to Creatures. I understood it was not the best group of musicians, but didn't care because I enjoyed what they were doing (not everything they did, but a lot of it anyhow). Like many players, they are the reason I bought a guitar in the first place. I enjoyed the reunion when it was the original band, not the tribute band that it is today. The football team is just another venue for Gene and Paul to attempt to milk the brand of KISS. Are we really shocked anymore by Gene's need to put the KISS name on anything and everything?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »

I only saw them once........With Rush at The Paramount in Seattle probabaly '76, they were loud as F*%& and I loved them! Still do.
I have no trouble saying that Gene was an influence, I already played the bass by the time KISS came around - but Gene made it cool to me and I loved the idea of a show, not just guys in jeans and T shirts.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
I don't have a great deal of their catalog, but their first album was a great debut.  I didn't think I'd like them at first, but I likened them to a rougher version of Foghat.  I saw them on what I think was their first Chicago appearance - at Fremd High School in Palatine.  Rush, who were awful, opened. KISS put on one of the most intense and entertaining rock shows I had seen.   These weren't stoned hippies, meandering about the stage.  They were a military precision team in action - guitar necks all at the same angle, movement choreographed.  If you ever wondered where Motown fit into KISS, look at the care they put into staging an event.  Much the way that Motown learned to entertain, KISS took that lesson into the rock world.  I think only Alice Cooper has a better rehearsed show.

I saw KISS again about 8 years ago, and they were just as good.  They are well worth the price of admission, without having to care about their records.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »
Saw them two nights running in '76 also... great show...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »

Here's an interesting page.....http://www.kissfaq.com/tourdates/1975/1975.html

I saw them in May of '75  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:10 PM »
I only saw them once........With Rush at The Paramount in Seattle probabaly '76, they were loud as F*%& and I loved them! Still do.
I have no trouble saying that Gene was an influence, I already played the bass by the time KISS came around - but Gene made it cool to me and I loved the idea of a show, not just guys in jeans and T shirts.

My dad took me to see KISS in 1976 and I loved it (like almost any other American boy at the time)! Like KISS or not, they had something which was right at the time and as such, those songs from the original band have endured.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »

Here's an interesting page.....http://www.kissfaq.com/tourdates/1975/1975.html

I saw them in May of '75  :-*

Talk about a fanboy page!  There are some sound clips from the show I was at.  That was a high school gym, so you can imagine how it sounded.  There were no fire marshalls, so we got the full show.  The parent's booster club was the true promoter. There was $5000 damage done to the gym floor during that show.  There were no more concerts ever sponsored at the school.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »
There were no fire marshalls, so we got the full show.  The parent's booster club was the true promoter. There was $5000 damage done to the gym floor during that show.  There were no more concerts ever sponsored at the school.

As an adult I feel sorry for the school and all, but the kid in me is really jealous I didn't get to see that show! One of the earlier KISS tribute bands (Cold Gin) with Tommy Thayer on lead and Jamie St. James on drums (both had been in the Simmons produced, Black N Blue and they had the blessing of the band including using some old props) put on a show that really felt like seeing KISS in a club, but you got to see the real deal in an even cooler/more unlikely circumstance. Very cool!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »
 I saw them in early '75, '77 and in '83 right before they took off the make up. The '75 show was the best............ young, hungry and full of it. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. Still have the T shirt from the show  ;D Concert $7.50 T shirt $15.00  :o  A KISS backed Football team ? Even I might watch that...................maybe buy a jersey to ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »
 This was brewing for many years, anyone else remember Cadillac High School?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »
That list Mark posted - checked '76 and found the dates - 15th and 16th May...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
Ah October '75 for me I remember it was cold and damp, made me think early spring.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
I think there are a whole bunch of Kiss albums a lot more unremarkable than The Elder. It's over-arranged, true, but the songwriting is way above Kiss standard.

Kiss and Bob Ezrin ... Paul Stanley finally came out in a recent interview that Kiss were scared shitless after the success of Destroyer (which took a while to take off) that they would not be able to reproduce the sound live, hence the conscious move to the more simplistic production of the inanely called "Rock'n'Roll Over" which Stanley today reckons to be "underproduced". My feelings exactly, I thought they sounded like a (not very good) garage band on that after the gleaming and elegant production of Destroyer. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...