Author Topic: NBD USA '62 Jazz Bass RI  (Read 8515 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
NBD USA '62 Jazz Bass RI
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:53:10 AM »
   Well I thought I was done with Jazz basses but it looks like the band will be resurrecting the Zeppelin set, so off I went in search of a Jazz Bass. This Discontinued '62 RI popped up at the HOG. It is head and shoulders above the '08 MIA Standard I had and the Road Worn, don't get me wrong both very nice basses but this sure does have something extra in the way of tone and playability. She came with tons of case candy, ashtrays, cord, strap etc. I know JPJ played a '64 but this is close enough as far as I am concerned. I really like the concentric pots. :) It was a smoke'n deal I couldn't pass it up.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:07:22 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NBD USA '62 Jazz Bass RI
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:05:57 AM »
Looks great - nice finish, a classic J look.  Enjoy!!  :o
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
Love those AV 62 RIs. Shame they were discontinued when the 64 was introduced.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:01 AM »
Sweet!  I always thought JPJ played a '62 Jazz with the slab board.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »
I could be wrong, I don't think his had  the concentric pots.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
I have not played every Fender RI model out there , but I've played a lot of them and I've never met one I didn't like. Some I like better than others ,but I've liked them all ;D.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »
When are you picking up the triple neck custom...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
Kenny it's not like we are talking about Jim Lea or anything, I think the Jazz will suffice. ;)
When are you picking up the triple neck custom...?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 05:19:52 PM »
 This bass has the most beautiful slab rosewood fingerboard I have ever seen on a contemporary build, it's stunning.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
very nice  bass.  Closet fender fan....

3 color sb with the rosewood is the fender look for me.   just oozes class to this fender guy..... 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:03:59 AM »
Mind you, Scott, I know you can blay the mando so you could always go the extra mile just to show a true Zep fan base something they are unlikely to ever see again... business is business... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
Don't forget to be on the lookout for one of these as well.   ;)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:14 AM »
Those '62 RI basses are great! Congrats. That's "THE" look too.  :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »
 Well I guess at this point I am out of the closet! Fenders are still a struggle for me but I do appreciate what others can do with them and their feeling towards them. I have to say if this is what Leo envisioned the Jazz bass to be I get it. Back in High School I dragged my Hofner to a party where everyone was jamming. The Hofner didn't  lets say do well with the songs of the day. My buddy let me play his oly white 60's Jazz and man what a difference! This bass reminds me so much of that bass.
very nice  bass.  Closet fender fan....

3 color sb with the rosewood is the fender look for me.   just oozes class to this fender guy.....  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:17:27 PM by godofthunder »

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
Sweet!  I always thought JPJ played a '62 Jazz with the slab board.
Yes, John Paul Jone's Jazz Bass was a '62 slab board. It was a 3 knob, there actually aren't any stackknob '62s, that's a myth born or the '62 stackpot reissue...I think Fender called them '62s for symmetry with the '62 Strat reissue. In fact I've owned a fully original 3 knob Jazz Bass with a May '61 neck date. Seen a few others too. It appears that the 3 knob arrangement comes in (actually, they reverted to it, the prototype Jazz had the 3-kob setup...) around the spring of '61. It's possible a few might pop up later, but I don't know if there were ever any original '62 stack knobs.

As for the '62 reissues, they were decent basses, but they made them for a LONG time...about 30 or 31 years...therre are plenty of them available out there used. BTW, the stack knob control plate and knobs were quite different than the originals, I've owned some of each. The originals plate was thinner and lighter, and the knurled volume knobs were much lighter too, made of pot metal or aluminum, like Tele or P-Bass knobs of the period only shallower. The RI vol. knobs were chrome plated brass, I think. Shape and gnurl pattern was different too.

The new American Vintage '64 Jazz looks nice in pics, haven't played or even seen one yet, though. GC/Sam Ash don't carry many cool basses around here (central NJ). Fender discontinued the Time Machine Series '64s, which were very similar, at the same time. The price is a bit lower on the new '64 RI, but it's not available in Closet Classic or Relic forms as the Time Machine instruments were. It seems that Fender's consolidating their line a little, which may be a good thing. They make WAY too many models/variants IMO.