Author Topic: Rickenbacker sues Jason Lollar for trademark infringement  (Read 7069 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Rickenbacker sues Jason Lollar for trademark infringement
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
Thread at the Steel Guitar Forum

The only reason RIC was able to get a trade dress trademark on the horseshoe is because the USPTO has become so lax in approving patents and trademark applications that clearly don't qualify under the law. You can't trademark function, you can't trademark the appearance of an item unless it has a trade dress distinct from its functionality, and you can almost never trademark an item that has previously been patented -- yet they got their trademark. Problem is, it takes big money to defend yourself against a trademark suit -- recently I've read anywhere from $500K to $2 million -- and RIC knows that Lollar almost surely doesn't have the wherewithal. Even taking action to get their trademark cancelled would take big bucks. This is why Rick Aiello stopped making horseshoes a few years ago.

It's a shame. And RIC doesn't even make a real horseshoe pickup.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Rickenbacker sues Jason Lollar for trademark infringement
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:21:30 AM »
The cool way to do this would be to ask for a symbolic license fee from Herr Lollar and be done with it. But Ric has never been cool about anything.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:33:16 AM »
The cooler thing to do would be not to abuse the broken trademark process in the first place.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »
The cooler thing to do would be not to abuse the broken trademark process in the first place.

Totally agree, Dave.

Uwe, please become familiar with the ORIGINAL intent of U.S. intellectual property laws.  They have been totally subverted by corporations to give them unfair advantage.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
I assume that not doing anything against Herr Lollar gives them the fear of relinquishing something for the future - offering him a license fee arrangement for sales going forward would solve that and he could always add it to the sales price. Let's face it, if anybody wants a horsehoe that won't deter him, he'll pay the asked for price. It's a product for disciples.

Hey, I'm not just a litigator, I'm also an amicable dispute resolver! And I'm neither an IP rights basher who thinks everything should be free (coming from an engineering and inventions country like Germany, that could hardly be expected, could it?  8) ) nor someone who thinks you should knock'em dead for any and all infringements. I'm somewhere comfortably numb in between.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:41:47 AM by uwe »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
I quit designing furniture when I walked into Target and saw a chair for which I owned a design patent.  I knew the (China/Taiwan) factory I designed it for had presented it to them.  They took the sample to another manufacturer to copy instead of paying at most the 2% more it would have cost them to buy it from my factory.  I couldn't afford lawyers to match Target's so my 'innovation' became their profit.  A similar thing happened with Walmart.  Needless to say, if I could shoplift at either store and get away with it I would.

Many established companies devote less capital to innovation than they do to strategies to stifle competition.   By and large they believe in laws only as a means to an end.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:02:27 PM by dadagoboi »

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
 Needless to say, if I could shoplift at either store and get away with it I would.

They have cameras everywhere.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Man-charged-with-theft-after-wallet-goes-unreturned-165500846.html

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 03:43:42 AM »
Did he really believe that someone else had left a wallet with 2.000 bucks for him to find?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »
   This is exactly why I didn't patent the Badbird. I if did the patent I could not afford to litigate on it's behalf nor could I build it. Patents are great for corps. with deep pockets.
I quit designing furniture when I walked into Target and saw a chair for which I owned a design patent.  I knew the (China/Taiwan) factory I designed it for had presented it to them.  They took the sample to another manufacturer to copy instead of paying at most the 2% more it would have cost them to buy it from my factory.  I couldn't afford lawyers to match Target's so my 'innovation' became their profit.  A similar thing happened with Walmart.  Needless to say, if I could shoplift at either store and get away with it I would.

Many established companies devote less capital to innovation than they do to strategies to stifle competition.   By and large they believe in laws only as a means to an end.

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
Btw I think Rickenbaker is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Did he really believe that someone else had left a wallet with 2.000 bucks for him to find?

And he would have gotten away with the theft if not for all the surveillance cameras.

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
In my opinion. John Hall cuts off his nose despite his face everyday. He doesn't care what anyone thinks or feels. He is all about money. That is why I will never, ever, buy a new rick! I will not support his facist regime! I wish the average consumer would do their homework as well.If they did, Hall would be panhandling on the street! >:(
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
I won't buy another new Rick, that's for sure. He's entitled to protect his brand, but this is the worst kind of trademark bullying, and it's a bogus trademark to boot.

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »
It would be different if it Was his brand! He inherited rick thru his Dad who isn't his real dad at all. He was adopted! Your right though. He is a major bully.Hall is the worst kind of business owner! GREEDY!!
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
It's also about power and pushing people around.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!