Author Topic: The Battle of Attu  (Read 3124 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
The Battle of Attu
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
I was dimly aware of the Japanese in the Aleutians during WWII but had never heard the details of this battle. Very grim.

70 years ago this month, the Battle of Attu raged

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: The Battle of Attu
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »
I noted the 30 Japanese captured in that article...

In Burma, from the start of the conflict until the point my dad got directly involved, I have a figure of four taken alive...

Fanatical, is the word...

(nice post, Dave; a new one on me, but admittedly well out of my research sphere... ;))
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »
There's currently a documentary on NetFlix, "Red, White, Black and Blue" about Attu that is pretty good.  Especially in going into the reasons the Japanese wanted a base in the Aleutians: as a refueling stop on a Great Circle Route to the west coast of the U.S.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
... and there's you, diametrically opposite positions in your country from another chain of islands...

I may add that link to my "Fish" list as I know so little about it, but Japan remains so high in my priority of research...

Cheers Carlo... ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »
 The definative account is Brian Garfield's "The Thousand Mile War"
http://www.briangarfield.net/the_thousand_mile_war__world_war_ii_in_alaska_and_the_aleutians_53111.htm

I highly recommend it, details all aspects of a very difficult campaign including a fierce naval battle involving the USS Salt Lake City, and PBY Catalinas pressed into service as bombers. I found it both fascinating and informative, he even notes the high incidence of insanity and cases of homosexual behavior amongst the Americans.........  
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
I detect a curve ball thrown in from the left field there...

(there's a thread dedicated to "alternate" wartime activity on the WW2talk site I lurk at... it has never been isolated from the military in any era...)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
never realized we actually had a WWII man to man battle on american soil.  i will have to get one of those movies or books.  Lots of free time right now...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »

Technically Alaska wasn't a state........I actually don't know what it's formal designation was. Protectorate? Province?
Regardless the book was a good read, hope things are going well for you!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »

Technically Alaska wasn't a state........I actually don't know what it's formal designation was. Protectorate? Province?
Regardless the book was a good read, hope things are going well for you!

I think it was a territory at that time.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
It was a territory.

I sent the story link to one of my old high school buddies, he replied "The only thing I remember about that campaign was that a Japanese fighter pilot flipped hi plane over on an attempted open field emergency landing and was killed but his plane was recovered and restored by US forces and it became the only Zero fighter that we had access to fly in order to learn about the characteristics of the plane.  Supposedly it was a very valuable find."

According to Wikipedia: "In the summer of 1942, the Americans recovered the Akutan Zero, an almost intact Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero fighter. This enabled the Americans to test fly the Zero and contributed to improved fighter tactics later in the war."

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
It was a territory.

I sent the story link to one of my old high school buddies, he replied "The only thing I remember about that campaign was that a Japanese fighter pilot flipped hi plane over on an attempted open field emergency landing and was killed but his plane was recovered and restored by US forces and it became the only Zero fighter that we had access to fly in order to learn about the characteristics of the plane.  Supposedly it was a very valuable find."

According to Wikipedia: "In the summer of 1942, the Americans recovered the Akutan Zero, an almost intact Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero fighter. This enabled the Americans to test fly the Zero and contributed to improved fighter tactics later in the war."

Which lead to Kenny's arch nemesis.............. The Hellcat!  :mrgreen:

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »
It was a territory.

I sent the story link to one of my old high school buddies, he replied "The only thing I remember about that campaign was that a Japanese fighter pilot flipped hi plane over on an attempted open field emergency landing and was killed but his plane was recovered and restored by US forces and it became the only Zero fighter that we had access to fly in order to learn about the characteristics of the plane.  Supposedly it was a very valuable find."

that i remember hearing just didn't realize it was there. 

Mark overall I am doing ok.   Wouldn't wish this on very many people however (that i personally know).  some in the news is another story.   still trying rehearsing with  2 of my 4 groups each week to stay active in the brain anyway.   No gigs till  late June and may not be able to sing much lead  if ever again as i have had a rasp for 2 months now.  but believe it or not I have kept my high range and falsetto for harmonies so maybe......

keep rockin guys
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:19:30 PM by Dave W »
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:11:18 PM »
Showing the beastie in American colours is more appropriate...

... and a link to the report from the time...

Which lead to Kenny's arch nemesis.............. The Hellcat!  :mrgreen:

:rimshot: :P

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »
Thanks for the link.

My dad was a tail gunner in the Pacific. I wonder what he would have thought of me buying a Mitsubishi car.