Author Topic: Planning the new bass  (Read 20217 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Planning the new bass
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »
I keep thinking that the f-hole needs to go more to the upper left of the layout, and the hole could be more curved to follow that part of the body. Easy to second guess this stuff when you are looking at a mock-up, not an actual finished product(and I'm not the one doing the work  ;)). Whatever you end up with is going to look good tho. I like the overall idea\look of it with the guard too.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »
I always loved the 4005 but could never spend the money on such a faulty bass - at least all theones i have played sounded crappy.  Yours  I like it a lot..   FOR ME   - I would move the f hole back toward  the bridge seems a lttle too midbody.     Need to rethink  the neck joint as the 16 fret is very old school  and maybe extend the top horn more to help the diver.....  IMHO and would be troublesome for anybody who doesn't play reverse tbirds.  

also 2 pickup upgrade should be considered

Cherry sunburst an option???
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
You could extend the neck out another fret or 2 if you wanted.  Visually it looks fine like it is but IMO most players prefer a little more access if possible.  You have to weigh whether that is important to you from a marketing standpoint.

There's not a lot of meat supporting this neck and structurally it's not a problem even with 8 strings.  Starts out at 1/4" thick (less under the screw ferrules)  at the 15th fret and tapers to 3/4"thick at the 18th where it meets the cutaway.  Body is poplar.  I wanted to see how thin I could get away with, neck screws are 3 different lengths.  My NR is similar.

How about if the P/G is similar to a 59-60 EBO, touching the neck and cut around the pup?

edit:actually I may be doing something similar on the SS 8er I'm building.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
I keep thinking that the f-hole needs to go more to the upper left of the layout, and the hole could be more curved to follow that part of the body. Easy to second guess this stuff when you are looking at a mock-up, not an actual finished product(and I'm not the one doing the work  ;)). Whatever you end up with is going to look good tho. I like the overall idea\look of it with the guard too.

I was thinking of an f hole that totally followed the edge of the body originally.  I'll make something to look at.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
Hey Carlo, thanks, I had forgotten about your neck layout on your own design there.  I suspect mine will look a little like this.  I might edge the neck up a little to the 18th. fret, we'll see how daring I feel!

You could extend the neck out another fret or 2 if you wanted.  Visually it looks fine like it is but IMO most players prefer a little more access if possible.  You have to weigh whether that is important to you from a marketing standpoint.

There's not a lot of meat supporting this neck and structurally it's not a problem even with 8 strings.  Starts out at 1/4" thick (less under the screw ferrules)  at the 15th fret and tapers to 3/4"thick at the 18th where it meets the cutaway.  Body is poplar.  I wanted to see how thin I could get away with, neck screws are 3 different lengths.  My NR is similar.

How about if the P/G is similar to a 59-60 EBO, touching the neck and cut around the pup?

edit:actually I may be doing something similar on the SS 8er I'm building.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
Hey Carlo, thanks, I had forgotten about your neck layout on your own design there.  I suspect mine will look a little like this.  I might edge the neck up a little to the 18th. fret, we'll see how daring I feel!

Yeah, I was surprised when I didn't have any problems.  The end of the pocket is where the most upward pressure is exerted.  The extra pair of screws might help counteract that.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
I always loved the 4005 but could never spend the money on such a faulty bass - at least all theones i have played sounded crappy.  Yours  I like it a lot..   FOR ME   - I would move the f hole back toward  the bridge seems a lttle too midbody.     Need to rethink  the neck joint as the 16 fret is very old school  and maybe extend the top horn more to help the diver.....  IMHO and would be troublesome for anybody who doesn't play reverse tbirds.  

also 2 pickup upgrade should be considered

Cherry sunburst an option???

I think two pups could be an option.  Cherry burst is possible as I have done those before.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2013, 06:45:12 AM »
Moved the neck out so that the 18th. fret meets the edge of the body.  I think it will work fine.  I'll be using a 6 screw mounting scheme like yours Carlo.  I also made a plywood template for a more permanent piece to work off of.

Broke my bandsaw blade today after 5 years of use!  I guess it was time for a change!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »
count me in for a celebatory? (always a bad speller)  bass when this whole ordeal is over.  
 Just had a great breakfast meeting with an old boss and maybe my job issue is getting resolved soon too.  I had to promise the wife no new basses till I am back to work and healthy of course  so just give me a real reason as they say!!!!

Anyone have any idea what a Thunderbucker in a hollow body would sound like??

JIM

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
How about a Tele control plate?

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
count me in for a celebatory? (always a bad speller)  bass when this whole ordeal is over.  
 Just had a great breakfast meeting with an old boss and maybe my job issue is getting resolved soon too.  I had to promise the wife no new basses till I am back to work and healthy of course  so just give me a real reason as they say!!!!

Anyone have any idea what a Thunderbucker in a hollow body would sound like??

Hey Jim, my pleasure!  I'm sure we culd work it out.  I hope you can get the job stuff worked out.  Sometimes things just happen for inexplicable reasons!  I'll be using TV Jones ThunderTrons in these basses.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »
How about a Tele control plate?

Well, I give you credit for trying, but I dislike tele plates on anything but a tele.   My brain can't process it!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
Hey Jim, my pleasure!  I'm sure we culd work it out.  I hope you can get the job stuff worked out.  Sometimes things just happen for inexplicable reasons!  I'll be using TV Jones ThunderTrons in these basses.

i have heard they are great pickups.  string spacing is limited i believe so fender/ric spacing may not be available.  thats cool for me as i have been thinking about tighter spacing and shorter scales lately but may limit its appeal..
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
I think the spacing will be fine.  It works on my 4005 clone.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
you the Doc....
JIM