Author Topic: Nothing Special  (Read 1037 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Nothing Special
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:29:54 AM »
My RH115 had a driver with a square ceramic magnet, which I assumed to be Eminence because they did that for a while, but I didn't check the manufacturer code because I didn't care that much.  No MM logo sticker or removed/disintigrated (cab was not in the best shape), so that could have been stock, thanks.

Those 65 watt alnicos are worth some serious coin ... not that magnet material makes any difference to tone or that they deserve to be necessarily - there's no stopping the alnico mythology now and you don't find too many higher powered vintage alnico drivers around.... I do have my personal fave (for guitar use), a sleeper which I can still find cheap (just got another one locally the other month for $40) -  I just like the lower weight  and the cones tend to be more to my liking... generally I found that the later ceramic mag drivers by this same company had a major quality slippage 5-10 years after switching from alnico, like mid-late 70s; I've seen some drivers where the magnet just fell off... so I lopped the mag off a few more and made myself some passive radiators for use in a pair of upgraded/modernised 4x12 PA columns that are front of house at my studio/venue (2 active + 2 passive each; used a black widow and an EV per side as the actives; separate Sunn hi Freq horns on top - I love how it blows old dudes who used to tour in the 60/70s with the exact same setup, minus mods, away to see me using these and sounding good doing it; they kick some serious ass).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:43:25 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Nothing Special
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
not that magnet material makes any difference to tone or that they deserve to be necessarily - there's no stopping the alnico mythology now

Trolling like this won't be tolerated. The tonal differences resulting from magnetic flux densities from differing magnet materials in speakers are well-documented.  Just making the point plain for anyone who may take this comment at face value. It's not true, nor does GG even believe it; he's just trying to cause controversy.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Nothing Special
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »
Actually that was a disclaimer so that you wouldn't jump on me for propogating an audio myth.  I just never know which side you're gonna be on apparently.

Also not that well documented, or at least disseminated - there was a huge debate about that on another, rather large board, and nobody could produce any lit or science on the subject from either side, but thanks for the lead, I will see if I can rustle anything up on that. I was actually planning a test of my own to decide for myself as I have 2 drivers that are identical save for the mag material, though it's ceramic and neodymium vs alnico (I figure it'll prove the point anyway, also I have heard people claim that they find neo drivers 'harsh,' which I never have, but this should show by direct comparison).  I have been mostly undecided (leaning to a skeptical no) on the subject due to my lack of reliable evidence either way.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:18:50 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Nothing Special
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »
Actually that was a disclaimer so that you wouldn't jump on me for propogating an audio myth.  I just never know which side you're gonna be on apparently.

Let's get something straight RIGHT NOW. I have no personal issue with you, but your continual baiting and stirring up trouble is NOT going to be tolerated. I have no "side" other than fact. While you obviously have a high opinion of yourself intellectually, many of the comments you make have little to no basis in reality, and as you've just admitted here, you don't even believe them yourself.

That behavior is disrespectful. If you want to argue for its own sake to validate your debate skills, take your crap to one of the many other bass sites where attitudes like that are encouraged and rewarded. This is your official public notice that from this point forward, I will be removing any content posted by you that I deem disingenous, purposefully misleading or inflammatory at my discretion. Even if you have no respect for your fellow forum members, I do.  

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Nothing Special
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
... not that magnet material makes any difference to tone or that they deserve to be necessarily - there's no stopping the alnico mythology now and you don't find too many higher powered vintage alnico drivers around....

Actually that was a disclaimer so that you wouldn't jump on me for propogating an audio myth.  I just never know which side you're gonna be on apparently.

I've had enough of your nonsense.