Author Topic: Ripper. Grabber, G-3 hardshell case question  (Read 5069 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Ripper. Grabber, G-3 hardshell case question
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
The G-3 doesn't come with a hardshell case and I doubt Gibson even offers one. Short of an original '70s-'80s case will any of the other similar shaped Gibson cases work for a G-3? I see Triumph cases, Les Paul cases (which I think are much smaller), but I wonder if any are suitable for the G-3  body shape.

Thoughts?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: Ripper. Grabber, G-3 hardshell case question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
Didn't Epiphone offer a bass in that shape a few years back? I was running into NOS Ripper & Grabber cases all of the time when I was looking for Les Paul Triumph cases. Here is a rectangular case on ebay.......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CASE-FITS-GIBSON-RIPPER-GRABBER-G3-BASS-GUITARS-/170989505109?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27cfc4ca55
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
The Epiphone case from a few years back will fit. And the old Gibson Ripper/Grabber/G-3 form cases, but nothing else. The body is just too wide.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
Which Epi case?

Interesting, I just made a test and tried to put my new G-3 into the '73 Ripper case. The body slipped right into the case but the headstock with the tuners was way too wide. Should have thought about it but it makes sense since the G-3 headstock is REALLY wide at the base, probably an inch or two wider than the '70s models.
This rules out original Ripper/Grabber/G-3 case for sure.

I did find a photo on the interwebs of the Grabber 2 in a hardshell case, which gets wider as it heads up the neck towards the headstock.

Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
Duh - you're right Denis, I forgot about the Grabber II! Even though I have one.

Epi brought out their Ltd Ed "Ripper" (more a GRipp3r really, but a nice bass) some years ago, a non-form, rectangular case with huge compartments was available for it, though not widely. My Prototype has one though, it fits well even though the Epis have slightly larger bodies, they obviously copied the very first Rippers for them.

Look, if you run into issues getting a Grabber case that fits I can dig out one of my old ones and exchange it against your G-3 gig bag, I'd rather have a gigbag than a case. Once my G-3 is here, I would test it with a case that fits snugly and send that to you.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:15:30 AM »
Thanks, Uwe! When I was writing the post all I was thinking about was the big ole body, not the headstock! Good thing I didn't buy an old Ripper case and THEN find out!

I'll see if I can find one of the Grabber II cases.

Some genius at Sam Ash lost the original G-3 gigbag (and also the paperwork for it) and so the manager gave me a Tour Grade Artist Series gigbag. It's a nice bag but since the G-3 is round and the bag has a squarish bottom, the G-3 sits with all it's weight on the rear strap button, a recipe for disaster!

By the way, when are you expecting your G-3 to arrive? I'm telling you you are going to love it!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:40:46 AM by Denis »
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »
Veronica Steed has it - wartime reparations for her deceased husband or so. Once you guys have something - like Texas - you never give it back! :mrgreen:

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
Possession is 9/10ths of the law!
They have a joke in Alaska: "Let's split Alaska in half and make Texas the third largest state."
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37:27 AM »
"Possession is 9/10ths of the law!"

:mrgreen: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:

Indeed it is. But Mark has/had permission. I'm a secret fan of his DNA traces.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »
"Possession is 9/10ths of the law!"

:mrgreen: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:

Indeed it is. But Mark has/had permission. I'm a secret fan of his DNA traces.

It's very carefully upstairs in my small practice room, very safe and controlled temperature. I take these things pretty serious actually! I can't begin to express how fantastic this bass sounds, especially played fingerstyle, I have it tuned a half step low to play some Smithereens tunes.........Whoa! This bass has a voice  ;D
 My hellish schedule will relax in 4 weeks, I'll have a quarter away from teaching, looking forward to it!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

TobaccoRipper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
Funny you should mention the Smithereens...I never heard of them before this weekend...

Saw a PBS concert show at about 7:00 AM Sunday morning..The Smithereens...they literally brought the house down.  Great show.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
It's very carefully upstairs in my small practice room, very safe and controlled temperature. I take these things pretty serious actually! I can't begin to express how fantastic this bass sounds, especially played fingerstyle, I have it tuned a half step low to play some Smithereens tunes.........Whoa! This bass has a voice  ;D
 My hellish schedule will relax in 4 weeks, I'll have a quarter away from teaching, looking forward to it!

I still cannot believe no one else has tried out the G-3.
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 12:23:47 PM »
Funny you should mention the Smithereens...I never heard of them before this weekend...

Saw a PBS concert show at about 7:00 AM Sunday morning..The Smithereens...they literally brought the house down.  Great show.

They can still bring it. But wow, Pat DiNizio is just enormous now. Look at some of their 80s live videos, if it weren't for his voice you'd swear it was a different person.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »

They're totally a working class blue collar band....Ok, DiNizio *is* a bit of an odd Boheimian but, they just rock and roll without all the usual crap. I have always really liked their no nonsense approach and Mike Mesaros is the true rock n roll soldier on the bass, yet comes thru with some really fun lines on "Blue Period" "In a Lonely Place" and my fave "Too much Passion". I thought I'd read somewhere that DiNizio had suffered some illness and the weight gain was a result of the medication.........I could well be wrong there tho.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...