Author Topic: Meteor in Russia  (Read 2334 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Meteor in Russia
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:43 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/meteorite-injures-more-than-900-in-russian-city/2013/02/15/ff67c624-7770-11e2-aa12-e6cf1d31106b_story.html

Definitely something like a scene from a science fiction movie.  But the main problem is people losing power. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Meteor in Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
Fortunately it was a small one. One of these days it's going to be a lot worse.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:27:11 AM »
Kinda freaky given how close that one is going to pass today.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »
17,000 miles and the size of an office buiding. in outer space 17k is like a direct hit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:34:42 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

Why am I the first one to post this here?  :mrgreen: I stumbled in that movie by accident at the time (it was a preview and I took the wrong door in the multiplex), it was worth wading through it for Buscemi and Thornton if nothing else. Since then Affleck has really progressed as an artist in my eyes. Liv's dad? Not so much, but Stevie T, you got to hand it to the old girl who refuses to grow up, is still the best and most variable at all ranges US-born hard rock singer of the last four decades.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »
I had bought the new Aerosmith album some time ago, and hadn't listened to it for a while.  I listened to it again last night and the main thing that struck me was Steven Tyler's unique voice. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »
I had a better impression of it initially. Music from another Dimension is fraught with compromise, "if you have your song there, I'll have this one here", real rockstar deity politics, talk about DP's Stormbringer! It hampers the flow of the album (except that so much of it sounds Beatlish). But Tyler can sing (though he was terribly off key at the Sandy Benefit with Dream On, but we all have off days).

Good ole Steve had to muscle this song on the album, the others weren't quite amused. Yeah, it's country pop or even pap, but I like it!

http://podcast.getwebreader.com/poponandon/first-listen-aerosmith-ft-carrie-underwood-cant-stop-loving-you/2012/10/697-419138
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:05:53 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »
I had a better impression of it initially. Music from another Dimension is fraught with compromise, "if you have your song there, I'll have this one here", real rockstar deity politics, talk about DP's Stormbringer! It hampers the flow of the album (except that so much of it sounds Beatlish). But Tyler can sing (though he was terribly off key at the Sandy benefit with Dream On, but we all have off days).

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but I'm really an Aerosmith "fan" by accident anyway (from being around a guitarist friend for the last ten years who is such a real Aerosmith fan.  Nevertheless, being exposed so much to their music probably has given me more of an appreciation than I might have expected.  I've heard Steven sing "Dream On" off key before and it is painful to listen to that.  Nevertheless, the song itself is a masterpiece, IMO.  Also, I do appreciate Tom Hamilton's bass playing.  On some of those songs, what he is doing is not quite so easy as it might look.  Anyway, that's just my impression; I'm sure opinions will vary.  As for the album, unfortunately, Aerosmith functions as if it were being run by a committee.  So, you're going to have compromises galore.  That's an accurate analysis of the results of the new album--rockstar deity politics.  Some of those Joe Perry vocals were painful to listen to, also.  Nevertheless, I did like the album better than the new Muse monstrosity, something I've commented on before, of course. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »
I like Hamilton, always have. Both his white-boy-funk and the McCartneyisms. He's a thoughtful player.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
Sweet Emotion has been one of my favourite bass lines for many years...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
He always dug out his Kubicki for that! Like me, he switches a lot of basses.  :mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
What sort of set would you have to be playing to switch through the lot... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »
Just tossing my .02 on part of this.  Steven Tyler may be her biological father, but the man who raised her is Todd Rundgren.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Just tossing my .02 on part of this.  Steven Tyler may be her biological father, but the man who raised her is Todd Rundgren.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
I think this video is much more appropriate! :vader: