Author Topic: Getting your fans involved  (Read 3125 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Getting your fans involved
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »
While you have one of the most beautiful flags in the world, the 3/4 meter does that song (or any interpretation of it) no favors. IMmostHO, no national insult intended. It's a pompous piece (whereas you as a nation are not), not really dramatic either, and has nothing of the forward-charging enthusiasm that makes your country great.

This song encompasses American spirit for me, whenever I hear it, I smile into myself and think warmly about everything that is good about the US of A:

I also like the French

and the old Soviet anthem (admittedly, both are melodramatic).

The German one is somewhere in the middle for me, it has won since it is - post-Nazi - played at a slower pace with less percussion, more strings and overall more somber. The one of former Communist East Germany was nicer though, very somber (but then suitably "working class enthusiastic" as it progresses, around 0:40) and poignant (it was of course written and texted post-WW II) with its lyical intro "risen from the ruins and facing now the future".

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:40:22 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
Uwe, there are periodic attempts to get America the Beautiful in place as the national anthem, but they seem never to gain enough momentum.  Too bad, as that song is native to us while the tune for the Star Spangled Bannner is, I believe, taken from an English drinking song. 

I agree, the Stars and Stripes Forever is a great piece of music - stirring and much easier to follow than the Star Spangled Banner.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
It does sound British in not so a great way, I must say (never was much a fan of the God Save the Queen melody either, I prefer Land of Hope and Glory). Sousa's piece otoh has some mediterranean gaiety in it and aren't a sizeable part of you wops and spics anyway?!!! :rimshot:

Ok, ok, I'll kraut back underneath the rock I came from!!!  :mrgreen:

America the Beautiful has a nice melody, but doesn't it sound a touch christmassy?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:03:34 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
A few years ago someone suggested making Doo Wah Diddy Diddy the national anthem. I think the reason given was that it's a typical American boy-meets-girl love story. Hey, makes perfect sense to me.  ;)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
what about diddy wah diddy(captain beefheart version of course) that rocks.
Louder bass!.