Author Topic: Getting your fans involved  (Read 3165 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Getting your fans involved
« on: February 03, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »
 :)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Getting your fans involved
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »
I think even the animals may have been more on key.   ???
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »
Beyoncé sang live on this one.  :popcorn:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
Beyoncé sang live on this one.  :popcorn:

Unfortunately I heard brief clips of her Super Bowl performance. All melisma, no substance. Even worse was Jennifer Hudson with the Sandy Hook Childrens Choir. The kids were singing on key while she was caterwauling.

And all the media folks who think melisma and caterwauling are signs of talent think their performances were wonderful.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »
Unfortunately I heard brief clips of her Super Bowl performance. All melisma, no substance. Even worse was Jennifer Hudson with the Sandy Hook Childrens Choir. The kids were singing on key while she was caterwauling.

And all the media folks who think melisma and caterwauling are signs of talent think their performances were wonderful.

I'm totally with you.  I hate that melismatic crap.  Fortunately, I didn't hear any of this and don't intend to.  Jennifer Hudson may be the worst I've heard.  Her "singing" makes me cringe. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
Beyoncé has by now admitted that her national anthem performance for the President was dubbed.  Because she is such a perfectionist, she says. Wouldn't a CD have sufficed then?

Blame Whitney and Mariah for the caterwauling. They didn't start it, but sure popularized it to the sorry state of today.

And now for something completely unmelismatic and uncaterwaulish, the beauty of the English language sung unaccompanied with no frills or trills and in a non-squealish range:

Time to wave my Ritchie Blackmore Rumer flag again!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:42:40 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
Suzanne Vega reminds me a little of Sarah Bettens.  Certainly, they both seem to have a knack for poignant lyrics.

--Blaise Pascal

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Beyoncé has by now admitted that her national anthem performance for the President was dubbed. 

I'm cool with that.  In fact, I'd be cool if Beyonce mimed to a metal song, as long as I was watching it in full HD on a 70" TV in a darkened room by myself.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
I can't understand the concern over live vs. dubbed.  When someone is performing in public like Alicia Keys and is NOT hopping around on the stage like a frog on a hot skillet, then fine, do it live.  But when you're running all over the place, lip-sync it so the audience can enjoy it.  Makes no difference to me in terms of result.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »
This guy made a career out of it... not the miming bit, just the out of tune stuff... kinda sums it all up with this little ditty... kind of adult themed to so I used the link rather than posting it fully...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:51:44 PM by HERBIE »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »

Blame Whitney and Mariah for the caterwauling. They didn't start it, but sure popularized it to the sorry state of today.

I blame the fans who eat it up as if it were a mark of talent.

The brief clips I saw didn't include Alicia Keys doing the national anthem. Saw an article that said a lot of people disapproved and some even want to take it out of the hands of celebrities so that it would be sung the way it was written, without all the godawful showboating. Same story referred to the "pathologically melismatic Christina Aguilera, who never met a syllable she couldn't make span several seconds and octaves." Yep.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:23 PM »
I blame the fans who eat it up as if it were a mark of talent.

The brief clips I saw didn't include Alicia Keys doing the national anthem. Saw an article that said a lot of people disapproved and some even want to take it out of the hands of celebrities so that it would be sung the way it was written, without all the godawful showboating. Same story referred to the "pathologically melismatic Christina Aguilera, who never met a syllable she couldn't make span several seconds and octaves." Yep.

I admire your consistent criticism of this crappy type of singing.  I'm glad that others appear to be getting more and more displeased with this, too.  It's deplorable and truly painful to listen to.  Of course, I always change it to something else anytime I encounter this garbage.  That's really all I know to do, except maybe complain on message boards such as this one. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
I can't understand the concern over live vs. dubbed.  When someone is performing in public like Alicia Keys and is NOT hopping around on the stage like a frog on a hot skillet, then fine, do it live.  But when you're running all over the place, lip-sync it so the audience can enjoy it.  Makes no difference to me in terms of result.

I'm with you if a dance act sings, Madonna, Britney and so forth. Now Beyoncé might move around a lot two, but probably not during the National Anthem at the inauguration of the President she so much supports. Her doing it live would have befitted the occasion. And a few bum notes would not have hurt. Beyoncé can sing, I don't doubt that, it was probably more the perfection/nerves thing. Or maybe she didn't know the song that well.  :-\

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
I remember a columnist opining that when doing the national anthem, the best option was to do it straight ahead, not draw it out, and not to dress it up with alternate flourishes. In other words, just deliver it and get done.

I'm generally in agreement with that approach.  You're there to serve a function, not to show off your musical chops and prove what a stud / studette you are.  There's no real reason to draw it out and improvise.

I thought Alicia Keys' version strained this rule pretty far, but I did think she was tasteful and I generally liked what she did.  I thought she could easily have sped it up and gotten through it faster.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »
That's why I agree that it should be sung by non-celebrities who will sing it straight. It's the national anthem, you don't get to "make it your own" with a bizarre interpretation.