Author Topic: Temporary Racing Stripes?  (Read 5678 times)

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
Temporary Racing Stripes?
« on: June 17, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »
I've been wanting to put Competition Racing Stripes on my Gibson Thunderbird Studio since before I even won mine on Ebay. But I'm not a big fan of making permanent cosmetic changes to instruments (Cars, amps, or anything else for that matter; unless it makes them better somehow).
So... I've been looking to see if I could find some sort of removable "Static Cling" type decals that I could cut to size and put over the finish.

I know if I leave them on there too long they'll eventually fade/corrode the finish. But I figured the effect could be less permanent this way. And I could just get in a habit of removing and reapplying them I suppose.

I wondered if something like the 'Scratch Pad' might be modified for this use. If you haven't heard if it before, since they are relatively new, The Scratch Pad is a removable guard designed to protect the back finish of the guitar/bass that typically gets minor scratches and 'buckle rash'. Also they're marketing it to Stores as a way to protect the guitars they're selling. http://www.scratchpadusa.com/index.html
The only downside with the Scratch Pad is that they come in limited colors and seem to be velvet covered. Plus they have been known to have adverse effects on Nitrocellulose finished instruments.

So I thought I'd bring my question here, and see if you guys had any suggestion/ideas that I might be able to investigate and use to do this.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary Racing Stripes?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:38:44 PM »
You've answered your own questions really.   Anything you do will affect the finish eventually.  you're kind of stuck.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:45 AM »
Since it's a modern bass I would just paint them on professionly. I would not worry about the value all that much, as painting stripes, well done would not depreciate that bad, in fact if done well my not decrease it at all.

It's your bass, make it the way yo want it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:55:33 AM »
I agree.  It's not a special or vintage bass, paint it however you like.  The more professionally you do it, the better.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:08:26 AM »
Paint it and keep us posted!

I still have my EB0 project on which i want to have competition stripes. Like the Gibson SG GT series.

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
You guys make excellent points. I may just end up doing that. Might have to wait till I've got a little 'off time' from using it non-stop; maybe this fall or winter. Any suggestions on going about that??

I looked over a few articles on the net (most were just general 'Painting a Guitar' guides) that had some pretty decent instructions.  To oversimplify what I read, they suggested taping off (with auto detail tape? I think) and covering the parts to not paint with thick plastic. I guess you'd have to sand/scuff the orig sealer to give the paint something to adhere to. Then Spraying on a few coats of some Quality Auto Spraypaint. Then sealing it with some nitrocellulose sealer? Would you have to sand/blend it in with the original?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »
Go to this forum and look around, the best guitar finishers in the country hang out there:  http://www.reranch.com/reranch/

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:28:56 PM »
If I wanted temporary stripes, I'd go straight to my friendly auto parts store and get that same auto detailing pinstriping and trim tape. It comes in various colors and widths, and with a little practice I think you could easily do competition stripes like the old Fenders.

If you're worried about differential wear, just peel the tape off and try a different design next time.  You'd have plenty to spare from buying even a small roll.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:30:49 AM »
pilgrim is onto something there... depending on how wide you want them... if you want them wider, go to a shop that makes vinyl signs or does automotive graphics,  buy a couple feet of the vinyl and cut it however you want it.  stays on as long as you want it to, but still comes off :]

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:37:43 AM »
Yeah, now that I think about it, I may try some striping tape on my black Jay Turser JT-401.  Who says a '54 P clone can't have racing stripes??????????  The black would be a perfect base color.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:27:37 AM »
Cool idea.
Using trim tape is a brilliant idea!

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:18:34 AM »
pinstripe also makes a GREAT imitation binding :]

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:37 AM »
Cool!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »
pinstripe also makes a GREAT imitation binding :]

Brilliant!

I also find myself thinking what an interesting touch the metallic or metalflake striping tape would be.

poomwah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
that would be awesome, metallic pinstripe,  I've toyed with the idea of using chrome on a black bass