Author Topic: Billy Joe smashes his Gibson  (Read 9315 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Billy Joe smashes his Gibson
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »
"Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong is headed to treatment for substance abuse"

And now, for something completely different...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
According to Classic Rock Magazine's website they were not cut short after all.  Billy Joe was just having a tantrum.  The new Billy Joe LP Jr. seems to be more sturdily built than the original 50's models.  That or he can't smash a guitar worth a sh$t.  8)

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »
"the band apologized for the incident and said their set was not cut short by Clear Channel, the host of the two-day festival."

Love that damage control.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
Bread, meet butter.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
Not only was the set not cut short, all the bands knew in advance that all the sets were to be 30 minutes. Apparently the sniveling little rat-faced git thought being around since 1988 meant he was entitled to cut into other bands' set times.

Why didn't they just continue playing and wait until the power is turned off? Then smash things. These young people ...

They're middle-aged now. They're just posing as kids. Say what you will about the Stones and other older bands, they just rock. They don't pretend to be rebellious teenagers.

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
They're the Sha Na Na of today. Except Sha Na Na weren't A-holes.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 04:54:19 AM »
I think the twerp is on the cover of this month's "Guitar" magazine.

My girlfriend and her sister saw Greenday some years ago and apparently Billy Joe was okay then. He invited a couple from the audience to come up and attempt to play one or two of their songs, with the band coaching them on what to do. After the couple of songs he gave the kid his guitar.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:58 AM »
My daughter says that Green Day was one of the best live shows she ever attended.  Looks like times have changed.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 06:17:43 AM »
Guy has an anger problem.....Like You said...they should have continued to play until they pulled the plug, then smash....have some dignity...swearing is so passe....

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 07:13:34 AM »
"the band apologized for the incident and said their set was not cut short by Clear Channel, the host of the two-day festival."

Love that damage control.
  No such thing as bad publicity..............................I still think the anger is fake, still looks staged to me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 07:58:41 AM »
They're not the first band to throw a tantrum re an allotted slot, Blackmore delayed DP's California Jam gig uintil the last minute (locking himself into his trailer) to make sure they could use the light show, then overran and destroyed the stage with his Marshall explosions to make sure that the last band on the bill - ELP - could not play.

30 minutes is of course short for any band to get into gear, but it has been done before without such hiccups (Bandaid) and Green Day knew what they were buying into.

The band as such leaves me cold, but I don't dislike them, they are your typical post-punk bar chord chuggers, melodic yes, but not riff-oriented enough for my taste. Girl rock. For some reason women prefer simplistic chord oriented music over riff oriented songs, most likely because it is close to the singer/songwriter stuff they also like, albeit electrified and played faster. Think about it: There are relatively few riff-oriented rock bands especially popular with women, U2, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, My Chemical Romance, The Strokes and Kings of Leon all tend to be chord-chuggerish.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
What the f**k?! It's offensive to al the f**kin kids who's f**kin trying to put their f**kin money away so the can f**kin afford a motherf**kin guitar like the f**kin one their f**kin popf**kinpunk hero, billy f**kin joel (or what the f**k his name is), f**kin plays...

F**k f**keti f**k f**k f**k...
did i just say f**k? excuse me..what the f**k..

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
Watching your f*cking language, mother f*cker! There may be f*cking ladies present, for f*ck's sake!

;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
  No such thing as bad publicity..............................I still think the anger is fake, still looks staged to me.

This is bad publicity. Their longtime fans were going to buy the new CD anyway.

The part of the rant about how they've been around since 1988 convinced me that it's the real anger of a delusional twat.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »
the rant reminded me of Lars Ulrich (in heavy eyeliner)...

I might take some crap for this (probably not on LBO), but I detest this band and their bullshit histrionics.
Granted, I've learned to play a few of their songs, but it's just girlpop...I liken them to the Romantics with a fake edge...and less makeup.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:58:47 PM by ack1961 »
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.