Author Topic: possible cap upgrade for Sunn 200S  (Read 1417 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
possible cap upgrade for Sunn 200S
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »
as most of you know i am a junkie. my father owned an automotive salvage yard and thats where i get it from. i am always looking for something i can salvage or rebuild into what i want.

my present project is getting myself a 200S amp and none seems to be available at a decent price so i bought a salvageable Dynaco Mark 3 amp and am prceeding to build a 200S clone of sorts using the money i recieved from my little foray into the Weber kit experience. they had a sale on amp kits and the software on their site let me buy a 450$ amp kit for 170$. i could not pass that up but in all honestly i didn't know the software was screwed until i made the purchase. it turned out to be the wrong kit as their listing was wrong and i was thinking i was getting the four power tube 5e7 kit instead of the 5e8. this was the one i was selling and i made a few bucks on the resale. they have since repaired the glitch in the software and made the correction on the listing. i was just the lucky one who stumbled onto it.

but to continue with my post:

in researching the amp i found that a weak point in the mark 3 and probably in the 200S is the cap can. it seems as the voltage in the mark 3 surges to 600 volts when the amp is turned on. for 200S users this is usually not a problem if one used the standby switch diligently. if one does not it can be a problem as this overrides the capacity of the cap cans rating of 525 volts and brings an early demise to the can.

at one site i found a can that is rated for 550 volts with a 600 volt surge capacity. it has the correct MFD values in four caps inside one can.

http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/product.aspx?id=312

this cap can can be wired correctly for a 200S and one might keep it in mind for future reference if you have any problems with your amp. as the 200S is based on the mark 3 i thought i would pass this on.

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:19:56 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: possible cap upgrade for Sunn 200S
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »
You can always put a resistor on the input of the filter to help the cap charge more slowly. That said, I'd just spend the money to get a cap that can handle everything to start with. Higher voltage filter caps aren't going to change anything much in those amps.