Author Topic: True tone or stock three point? Opinions anyone?  (Read 6354 times)

weekend warrior

• View Profile
True tone or stock three point? Opinions anyone?
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »
Having a bridge delema.Thinking about the hipshot bridge over the stock three point on my 76 bird.Any thoughts on this??
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Re: True tone or stock three point? Opinions anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »
I despise the three point bridge for many technical reasons and always replace with a Hipshot Supertone where possible/practical.  Do I need to itemise the ways in which the three point bridge displeases me?  How long have you got?

I am now going to hide behind this giant can of worms that you opened ;)

Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
That bad huh???? ;)
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
That bad huh???? ;)

OK, you did ask:

1. The whole thing falls off if you remove all the strings.
2. I have had the threaded inserts pull out of the body on me when string tension is applied.
3. It's on stilts and it gives me the same confidence that a house on stilts would.
4. You can only adjust the height of the bridge in three places, there is no (easy) means to individually set string heights.
5. When installed (top loaded), the ball end of the string is so close to the saddles that the silk (or ratty end bit of unsilked strings) can go over the saddle, particularly on the E string.  I don't claim to know what that might do to the sound, but it looks bad, and I wouldn't tolerate silks over the nut so why should I tolerate it at the bridge saddle?

That's the main points for me.

Now, I'm going to disappear back behind that can ;)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
the ball end of the string is so close to the saddles that the silk (or ratty end bit of unsilked strings) can go over the saddle, particularly on the E string.

You too huh? I get around that by burning off the silk with a Zippo.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »
I despise the three point bridge for many technical reasons and always replace with a Hipshot Supertone where possible/practical.  Do I need to itemise the ways in which the three point bridge displeases me?  How long have you got?

I am now going to hide behind this giant can of worms that you opened ;)

:mrgreen: I absolve you, son, I absolve you!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »

3 points rule!  ;)

Honestly, do what want, I'd be reluctant to mod a '76 in any permanant way tho.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
I think the Hipshot is a well designed bridge, and superior to the three point.  For full disclosure, I never liked the three point and actually like the Evertilt bridge more.  But if I were to come across a later Tbird that came with a 3 point, I would like it to still be there, as opposed to a Badass II, which I love on a Fender.  One major nice aspect of the Hipshot is that, like the DiMarzio One, it doesn't F up your bass physically.  Unlike the DiMarzio One, the Hipshot bridge isn't an inferior option to the original Gibson stuff.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:45:05 PM »
OK, you did ask:

1. The whole thing falls off if you remove all the strings.

Then don't.
Is it that hard to change strings one by one?

2. I have had the threaded inserts pull out of the body on me when string tension is applied.

All the way out? That's impossible while the pull is sideways.

3. It's on stilts and it gives me the same confidence that a house on stilts would.

A house is not a bass guitar. A house was not built to resonate freely. A bass guitar should resonate.
It's a poor comparison IMHO.

4. You can only adjust the height of the bridge in three places, there is no (easy) means to individually set string heights.

There is no need to adjust the individual string height, as the saddles are each their own height, placed in a curve that matches the fretboard.
If you can't get a proper action set up yourself by using the three bolts don't touch them and let a luthier do it.

5. When installed (top loaded), the ball end of the string is so close to the saddles that the silk (or ratty end bit of unsilked strings) can go over the saddle, particularly on the E string.  I don't claim to know what that might do to the sound, but it looks bad, and I wouldn't tolerate silks over the nut so why should I tolerate it at the bridge saddle?

Then don't use strings with silks if that bothers you so much

That's the main points for me.

Now, I'm going to disappear back behind that can ;)

Now let's eat those worms.
 :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:08:28 PM by Basvarken »

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
I'm with Neephied here.  The Supertone gives you everything a modern bridge should (and so should the Truetone).  Also the E-String bridge saddles on both three points on my pair of TBs was unpleasantly sharp/pointy.  Just keep the original bridge so you can revert to original pending any future resale.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
 I may shock some, as much as I despise the three point I like the Supertone even less. Sure it's functional but it is FUGLY, just doesn't look right. These day I am more inclined to break out the files and shim brass to "adjust" a three point.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »

3 Points are Sexy looking.  ;)

I could *maybe* see a Hipshot on a newer 'Bird, but graceful, it's not.
I've only ever had trouble with one - It was an Allparts knockoff that I replaced with a Gibson. Very easy to maintain and get low action.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »
5. When installed (top loaded), the ball end of the string is so close to the saddles that the silk (or ratty end bit of unsilked strings) can go over the saddle, particularly on the E string.  I don't claim to know what that might do to the sound, but it looks bad, and I wouldn't tolerate silks over the nut so why should I tolerate it at the bridge saddle?
Then don't use strings with silks if that bothers you so much

On my only bass with a 3 point is a '77 TBird.  The action could not be set low enough with the 3 point, even smack on the body.  Filing saddles reduces the angle to the string anchor point and degrades tone.  To cap it off the E string will not intonate and string wrap lays on the saddle with or without silk.  Gibson put the bridge in the wrong place.  Big surprise

I agree with Scott, the Hipshot is an ugly thing.  NeverTilt solved all 3 point problems and is rock solid.  No mods to the bass and less obtrusive than a Stuportone.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
Look what you went and done, Neep...!

No problem with the string through on my RD... hmm... at least it was the last time the beast was strung... :o

All worms found on my patch (not eaten by the blackbirds and robins) are carefully relocated to my veggie recycling plant... (aka the compost bins)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
i have a supertone 3 point replacement on my eb4l.it slightly improved the tone and the sting balance improved slightly but mostly it stopped me worrying about the bridge.i agree that they are butt ugly.i like  your nevertilt carlo,the look reminds me of the bridge on the thunderbird studio.i had an idea ages ago about getting a 3 point made in stainless steel or something to see it the tone improved any but i decided it was too much hassle.getting the saddles made could have been worth it though.in a parallell universe gibson is doing this research right now...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:13:00 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.