Author Topic: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality  (Read 68245 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
The stiffness of vintage wood - that does make me look forward more lightheartedly ...

I wouldn't want to bake anything though, that probably hurts.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »

Mmmmmmm.........stiff wood  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »

Mmmmmmm.........stiff wood  ;)

Walk on gilded splinters.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2012, 05:23:19 PM »
That reinforces the point about improperly dried wood.  The modern process is much speeded up compared to when lumber didn't go from tree to kiln so quickly.  This allowed an initial stabilizing period of air drying, especially imported logs that had been cut a long time before they got to the kiln.

That's my exact thought.  By and large, lumber of any type today hits the market with more moisture than was common 40 years ago.  It's as true for specialty woods as it is for general lumber.  No one is willing to age and dry it very thoroughly.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
All this talk about wood!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2012, 06:34:51 AM »
Speaking of Gibson Non Reverses, what's the word, Thunderbird? Any news on delivery dates yet?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2012, 07:18:05 AM »
 Still waiting.................................
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:02 AM »
Makes me think of baked apples, baked Alaska, etc.  I'll take a chance on one.  Replacing the fretboard with rosewood later on if the maple goes "bad" wouldn't be that hard to do.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
[drool] We have a Bramley just outside the sun-lounge door, with the apples pretty close to picking... mmm, mmmm [/drool]
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2012, 04:43:27 AM »
Still waiting.................................

I've heard everything from 6 weeks to 6 months!  Who knows with the Gibson gang?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:24 AM »
lol yeah I get a different answer every time. It's pretty much when they show up they show up.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
Yeah, I've heard that mentioned before but in the last factory tour video that was posted Jim Hall says something along the lines of "Billybob here is assembling necks on basses by install karflamulated maple between two pieces of maple".  I'll have to dig around for the video again - my memory has failed me before :rolleyes:

Baked maple may be an alternative to rosewood but it's just isn't the same - now if it were impregnated with some type of resin or polymer that truly altered its tonal and wear characteristics.... 

Found it here at 6:07  : http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=6870.0

JH is talking about a 330/360 neck something along the lines of "...laminated neck with radified maple" ? ???

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
Found it here at 6:07  : http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=6870.0

JH is talking about a 330/360 neck something along the lines of "...laminated neck with radified maple" ? ???

He's saying retified. See this RRF discussion from earlier this year: http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=403942

Very interesting, since he says it's harder and more stable. The linked pdf gives some further detail. That doesn't mean this is what Gibson is doing, but it certainly could be.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2012, 07:26:17 AM »
I chatted with Kurt at the HOG yesterday and he was on the phone with the Gibson rep.  The rep said a couple months for the NR and then the Midtown basses will come out after that.  For what it's worth, these guys are never right in my experience.  So, take it for what it is.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2012, 07:45:21 AM »
He's saying retified. See this RRF discussion from earlier this year: http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=403942

Very interesting, since he says it's harder and more stable. The linked pdf gives some further detail. That doesn't mean this is what Gibson is doing, but it certainly could be.

Thanks Dave!  The PDF was very interesting and to my mind this sounds like what Gibson is doing.  Retifcation is a registered mark of a French company and it looks like the French did indeed develop this concept.  After reading the article I'm less skeptical of the baked maple than I was and I have to say I'm somewhat optomistic about it even though the article stated that some slight loss of mechanical strength is expected.  The true test will be several months of testing with some round wound Rotosounds ;)