Author Topic: Slight body reshaping  (Read 1142 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Slight body reshaping
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
I have a few spare bodies on hand (Fender p slab) and want to do some 'stealthifying' and rond a few of the horn edges. These bodies are already finished (tobbaco burst). I don't mind 'filing' sanding them down and not worried about altering the finish. Has anyone done this? Would I need to send this to a custom shop who has fender body shape tools to insure even shaping as by hand it might not come uot as perfect in this case?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Slight body reshaping
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »
I have a few spare bodies on hand (Fender p slab) and want to do some 'stealthifying' and rond a few of the horn edges. These bodies are already finished (tobbaco burst). I don't mind 'filing' sanding them down and not worried about altering the finish. Has anyone done this? Would I need to send this to a custom shop who has fender body shape tools to insure even shaping as by hand it might not come uot as perfect in this case?

Easier and more accurate to use a router (preferably in a router table) with a  1/2" roundover bit for most of the edge profiling...the front and back contours were originally done with a stroke sander but can be done with a belt sander.