Author Topic: Music videos that feature Gibson Les Paul basses...  (Read 51514 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Gibson Les Paul basses...
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
You channel Dave Dudley well, too.

Gotta laugh at Al. Mention country and he immediately brings up Dick Curless. NTTAWWT

Other deep voiced singers you might not be aware of are Johnny Seay (who's still around) and Jack Barlow.

This one always amuses me, for some perverse reason.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2015, 11:56:31 PM »
To add to the chorus of well-deserved vocal praise, on the Marty Robbins tunes, you sound like Marty but also sound enough like Chris Isaak, a card carrying old-country genuine article disguised as a rock star, enough that you could easily handle anything is his or his idol's, Roy Orbison's, catalog. Great promo video too. Your management company seems to be earning their money.

BTW re: the CMA's the other night, there was some exceptional live music on it, but it was mostly from the cross-genre guest band matchups, so when I say there was good live music on the CMA's and none of it was country, that's not a dig, just the literal truth. Justin Timberlake singing Memphis soul on the CMA's and doing it every bit as authentic as you would expect it to be fake; the world's gone backwards:

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2015, 12:03:19 AM »
You channel Dave Dudley well, too.

Gotta laugh at Al. Mention country and he immediately brings up Dick Curless. NTTAWWT

Other deep voiced singers you might not be aware of are Johnny Seay (who's still around) and Jack Barlow.

Thanks, Dave!! I hadn't heard of Johnny Seay, but his voice is irresistible to someone like me who's a fan of that OTHER Johnny. :) As a matter of fact I'd say he nails Cash's style but is technically a better singer.  I love the slap-back echo on that track, it really captures that early J.C. sound.  We did "Big River" in the studio earlier this year with a little echo on the vocal:

https://clyp.it/n2kkls51
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:55:56 AM by finlover »

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 12:21:06 AM »
To add to the chorus of well-deserved vocal praise, on the Marty Robbins tunes, you sound like Marty but also sound enough like Chris Isaak, a card carrying old-country genuine article disguised as a rock star, enough that you could easily handle anything is his or his idol's, Roy Orbison's, catalog. Great promo video too. Your management company seems to be earning their money.

BTW re: the CMA's the other night, there was some exceptional live music on it, but it was mostly from the cross-genre guest band matchups, so when I say there was good live music on the CMA's and none of it was country, that's not a dig, just the literal truth. Justin Timberlake singing Memphis soul on the CMA's and doing it every bit as authentic as you would expect it to be fake; the world's gone backwards:
Thanks a million, Psycho Bass Guy! Roy Orbison is one of my all-time favorites. I'd have to lower most of his songs a bit to be able to pull them off because of their incredible range. I already do "Only the Lonely" but I'd love to work up "Crying" or "Running Scared" someday. I always have to keep danceability in mind though. Maybe "You Got It" would be a good choice.

I didn't watch the CMAs myself but it sounds like I missed some good performances. I'm generally not a fan of modern country but I love me some Justin Timberlake--his talent is just staggering!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 01:22:57 AM »
Great voice. Great band. Lovely Les Paul Bass.
Hattrick!  ;)

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
Thanks so much, Rob!! You've got a fantastic band yourself! Plus you manage to make a 20/20 look like the coolest bass on Earth--maybe it's the western shirt 8)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »
Thanx haha, it's gotta be the shirt that does that   :toast:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »

Didn't realize I was that predictable, but whottheheck. No harm.

When I was a country DJ for a brief period, I was much more a fan of ballads that told interesting stories than any other country form. It was the late 60's when some of the old great ballads by Marty Robbins and others were still reasonably current. A few of the existing artists like Curless and Merle Haggard had been doing trucker songs.

Six Days on the Road was a huge hit back then, as were Mama Tried and Folsom Prison Blues, Daddy Sang Bass, and it was when Glen Campbell's version of Galveston opened a new door in country music. Thinking about Dave Dudley and Glen Campbell kind of captures the contrast.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:23:02 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2015, 10:21:12 PM »
my wife has this single. who knew. :o

"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2015, 10:58:46 PM »
Didn't realize I was that predictable, but whottheheck. No harm.

When I was a country DJ for a brief period, I was much more a fan of ballads that told interesting stories than any other country form. It was the late 60's when some of the old great ballads by Marty Robbins and others were still reasonably current. A few of the existing artists like Curless and Merle Haggard had been doing trucker songs.

Six Days on the Road was a huge hit back then, as were Mama Tried and Folsom Prison Blues, Daddy Sang Bass, and it was when Glen Campbell's version of Galveston opened a new door in country music. Thinking about Dave Dudley and Glen Campbell kind of captures the contrast.

Definitely no harm. I've got tons of great music by country artists from the 50s and 60s that most of you never heard of. Nothing wrong with promoting Dick Curless' music, it just amuses me that you bring him up every time. There are others, you know!  :)

This is what I think of when his name comes up, because it got more commercial airplay than his other stuff.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »
The guy had a really resonant voice.  My choice is limited by the fact that I lived in a small town and the station playing country had a very limited library, so I missed out on that cut and many other country tunes.

Within a year I was focused more on rock and buying Beatles and Doors records.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:54:54 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
That is one great video promo!

Good choice to start with the Johnny Cash music - you have an outstanding voice, and close enough to Cash that it's amazing.  Overall, that whole band has great voices, and the musicianship sounds top-notch.

I'd go see you, even though I'm not a country fan!

+1 !
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
Just watched the promo...I would love to see the band live. You guys are great...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2015, 11:07:06 PM »
Thanks, Dave!! I hadn't heard of Johnny Seay, but his voice is irresistible to someone like me who's a fan of that OTHER Johnny. :) As a matter of fact I'd say he nails Cash's style but is technically a better singer.  I love the slap-back echo on that track, it really captures that early J.C. sound.  We did "Big River" in the studio earlier this year with a little echo on the vocal:

https://clyp.it/n2kkls51

Excellent studio track.

Johnny Seay lives in Glen Rose, east of Stephenville. I don't know if he performs anymore. Go visit him and get him to do a duet with you!

finlover

• View Profile
    • 3 Chord Rodeo
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2015, 08:08:34 AM »
Just watched the promo...I would love to see the band live. You guys are great...
Thanks, patman! Come see us if you're in Austin sometime. Bring your bass and we'll do a country version of "Big Bottom"! :mrgreen:

Excellent studio track.

Johnny Seay lives in Glen Rose, east of Stephenville. I don't know if he performs anymore. Go visit him and get him to do a duet with you!
I sure hope he still performs with a voice like that! Looks like a CD is in the works: http://www.johnnyseay.com/