Author Topic: Bass Drum Mic?  (Read 6506 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Bass Drum Mic?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
How well a particular kick mic works in any given situation is greatly dependant on the kick m, as well as the rest of the signal chain, yeah.

Also, the people buying and reviewing CADs are not the sort who always know what they're doing or using the best PA mixer (love it when I see reviews for good mic and they say it's poo having only used it through their Yorkville/Behringer); most pro engineers scoff at that brand.  I'd give it a try, but I have other mics for kick that I am happy with.

If you ever do find that you want some more top end / attack / clarity to your kick try adding a mic on the beater side.  Even a 57 will do for this; whatever is on hand.  You'll need to flip the phase on it because it's facing the exact opposite direction of the internal (CAD) mic (a head is like a speaker; produces the same wave from the front and back, except 180 degrees out of phase).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Bass Drum Mic?
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip :). I'm pretty much an old school thud lover and that's why the CAD appeals to me so much. I also have a newer Mackie 16 channel board with a lot crispness capability if I need to enhance the upper end.
 I couldn't agree more with your statement about people doing mic reviews who are using a POS PA. The chain is only as good as its' weakest link.  I've always felt there's just no sense in trying to polish a turd. You might make it a little prettier but there comes a time you're going to realize it's still a turd ;).
Rick